Pintail wrasse dying

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after 24 days in qt and 9 days in copper I found my pintail wrasse at the bottom of the tank, not swimming or moving much. I'm at a loss on how to move on. It had flukes and intestinal parasites that I treated, and the fish has been healthy and eating like a pig, then boom dying at the bottom of the tank. I took him out of the coppersafe treated tank into a bucket and treated with ruby reef rally, but it doesn't look good still. I noticed what looks like it's slime coat sloughing off, but it is dark colored. Not sure how to proceed or if it can be saved

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling him out of copper was probably a decent idea. I've just brought a pintail through coppersafe successfully, but have lost fairy wrasses in _ionic_ copper in the past. (Coppersafe is chelated, rather than ionic.

Not sure whether the Ruby Reef Rally is helping at the moment, as I can't say definitively what's troubling the little fellow - hopefully, @melypr1985, @Humblefish or @ngoodermuth can offer clarification . . .

~Bruce, for whom "dark-colored slimecoat" peeling off is decidedly unfamiliar territory

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is black dog hair that was stuck to the slime coat. Still not sure what's wrong with the lil guy. He just lays on the bottom of the bucket looking at me:(

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses - especially if frightened or stressed - will often spend a fair amount of time lying still on the bottom or in a corner. That, in itself, isn't something I'd panic over - but it is an alert that something may be amiss.

If he's been in full-strength copper for nine days, you might be able to set up a new QT - use _none_ of the equipment from the old QT without _thorough_ cleaning / sterilizing, as it might have encysted trophonts on it - for observation only. By preference, this new tank should be at least ten feet away from your existing QT and from your display.

~Bruce

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dogs haven't been treated with anything but heart worm pills. I did paint the kitchen 3 days ago. The fish are in a bedroom down the hall and I had windows open. Nothing has been added to the water but food and the aforementioned coppersafe, and I don't think anything could of accidently got in. The wrasse is still hanging on, it is righting itself and trying to swim but then lays on its side again for a while.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is still hanging on, it is righting itself and trying to swim but then lays on its side again for a while.

Do you see a bulge near it's abdomen? I'm wondering if it could be a swim bladder disorder. Another possibility is a spinal injury. Wrasses are infamous for both.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you prazi or how did you treat for flukes ? are you sure he's flukes free? maybe a freshwater dip would help cehck if he still has any but I'm afraid if too weak the dip might kill him. he might have been weakened bu the flukes and parasites adn that's showing now.

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any bulge in its abdomen, and it is still able to dart forward if disturbed, but otherwise stays in one spot often if not mostly on its side

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe your right about the spinal injury:(. I picked up some clove oil to euthanize it tonight. Tough break, I was excited about this one and it was healthy and thriving and now... Thanks for your help everyone especially @Humblefish, your knowledge that you graciously share has helped tremendously.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it trying to eat? Might give it a couple more days if it's trying to eat, they surprise you sometimes...

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll try hanging on a couple more days. It happened Sunday morning, I don't want it to suffer.
Was trying to remember how my wrasse did with a spinal injury, had to go find the thread. Looks like in 2 days I saw improvement. Is it trying to eat? Any improvement at all since it happened?

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does try to eat, and is perhaps slightly more active, but I don't think it has been successful at getting food. I'll give it some more time, I'm not very optimistic at this point unfortunately.

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the wrasse is improving, definitely trying to eat, hard to tell if it gets any food as it is in a bucket. It is staying upright and resisting water current. It only turned left previously and now turns right. I'm glad to see the progress and hopefully it keeps improving. Thanks @cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the wrasse is improving, definitely trying to eat, hard to tell if it gets any food as it is in a bucket. It is staying upright and resisting water current. It only turned left previously and now turns right. I'm glad to see the progress and hopefully it keeps improving. Thanks @cmcoker
Glad to hear! hope it continues to progress!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back