Pintail wrasse swimmbladder issues

JoannaLola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys please help me!
My beloved Pintail is swimming vertical “hanging” in water and always on top:(
He eat like a machine from beginning and always was catching huge pieces of PE mysis or any kind of food and I think I overfeed him:( He started looking like a eel, huge stomach... My ph is always around 8.1 pretty stable, nitrate 0, phosphate 0, ammonia 0, Calcium 440, all other parameters great and stable. Im using Red Sea tests. Im dosing kalkwasser only and pro bio bacteria plus np from AF. Coral is doing fantastic as well as 2 clowns... He still looks gorgeous just very bloated to the point that he just really float like a fat guy on top and can’t really go down to the rocks, or to the bottom of the tank. He still go down to sleep in the rocks and is creating cocoon...I can’t feed him pea, he also last 2 days can’t catch any food... I can’t imagine do the needle decompression and concidering taking him to vet, like really!!:( I just love him to much:( Any ideas? Will add video tomorrow...

F05DCE24-DAD2-43E3-A692-C7AB3362FA4D.jpeg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try some epsom salt... but unfortunately only time will tell if it will resolve or not :(

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sound like a swim bladder issue, unfortunately fairly common in fairy wrasses due to collection practices. I highly doubt you over fed him... these guys appreciate multiple daily feedings.

Another possibility for him appearing “bloated” could be intestinal worms, also very common in these wrasses. Is he still eating at all? Breathing heavy? Any white-stringy poop?

OP
OP
JoannaLola

JoannaLola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sound like a swim bladder issue, unfortunately fairly common in fairy wrasses due to collection practices. I highly doubt you over fed him... these guys appreciate multiple daily feedings.

Another possibility for him appearing “bloated” could be intestinal worms, also very common in these wrasses. Is he still eating at all? Breathing heavy? Any white-stringy poop?
I can’t find him anymore...:( What a shame... They needs to be properly collect...Such a beautiful boy he was, eating from my hand;Sorry Now I need to find him so the ammonia will not show up...

OP
OP
JoannaLola

JoannaLola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His poop was always normal, didn’t breath heavy until yesterday night he just couldn’t swim anymore and I was helping him to move at all as the overflow was sucking him in... I hope he doesn’t struggle anymore but boy I hope he show up soon as I don’t want to move rocks!

OP
OP
JoannaLola

JoannaLola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: He is still alive, just come out from rocks.. He also just poop! Lol I attached pictures of the poop lol Its white but not stringy...

2DD2BE5A-4BE9-4EA3-9FC4-DF2796BCB3BF.jpeg

9E2582A1-FEA4-489C-B254-EFF18C1EA1AD.png

OP
OP
JoannaLola

JoannaLola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If swim bladder is raptured, I assume there is no hope but if its only infected what kind of antibiotics should I use??

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any antibiotics would need to be administered in a hospital tank/QT. I’m going to be honest though...the recovery rates of swim bladder issues are not so good.

Personally, I usually use kanaplex/furan-2/metroplex for bacterial issues. You can use all three together. For a less aggressive approach, either kanaplex or Furan-2 could be tried alone.

Methylene Blue is an antiseptic that also has some anecdotal evidence of reversing effects of cyanide poisoning...and can be administered as a bath in a 5g bucket...so no QT needed. I’d probably start there in this case and see how it responds.

Epsom salt is reef safe and might alleviate swelling.

Honestly, the only real thing that will say if he will recover...is time.

OP
OP
JoannaLola

JoannaLola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any antibiotics would need to be administered in a hospital tank/QT. I’m going to be honest though...the recovery rates of swim bladder issues are not so good.

Personally, I usually use kanaplex/furan-2/metroplex for bacterial issues. You can use all three together. For a less aggressive approach, either kanaplex or Furan-2 could be tried alone.

Methylene Blue is an antiseptic that also has some anecdotal evidence of reversing effects of cyanide poisoning...and can be administered as a bath in a 5g bucket...so no QT needed. I’d probably start there in this case and see how it responds.

Epsom salt is reef safe and might alleviate swelling.

Honestly, the only real thing that will say if he will recover...is time.
I know....Honestly I think he will not make it without antibiotics or needle decompression. I just call vet as I need the prescription for any antibiotics in Canada... The only problem is they need to see the patient:mad:
Thank you very much for your help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The videos were unavailable. But in the first pic the tail is dropped. If this is the case, then it is more likely a spinal injury rather than swim bladder issue. Some fish heal, some don't.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back