Pistol shrimp and goby opposite sides of tank :(

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas for encouraging either of them to abandon their burrows? I have tried putting an airline in the back side of each burrow and bubbling to drive them out and Hopfully seek an new home but it didn’t work.

they are about a 1.25 ft away from each other each with perfect burrows and neither seems interested in exploring.

Do gobies recognize the shrimp on sight? If so temped you print out a shrimp and put it on the glass near the pistols burrow in hopes of luring him over .. any and all ideas welcome

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should eventually pair up. However, I have in the past disturbed my tiger pistol shrimp's cave (my YWG didn't dig out separate cave) to speed things up. Sometimes it worked sometime not and sometimes it had unintended consequences such as forcing a move from an easily viewed location to somewhere not viewable. I haven't seen my new Yasha goby/Randalls shrimp in months (still hear a 'pop' occassionally so I know at least the shrimp is still around.

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should eventually pair up. However, I have in the past disturbed my tiger pistol shrimp's cave (my YWG didn't dig out separate cave) to speed things up. Sometimes it worked sometime not and sometimes it had unintended consequences such as forcing a move from an easily viewed location to somewhere not viewable. I haven't seen my new Yasha goby/Randalls shrimp in months (still hear a 'pop' occassionally so I know at least the shrimp is still around.
My yasha decided his home is front and center pretty much and is “out” all the time (4 inches from cave max). Randals shrimp is front right but never seen unless you use a flashlight.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yasha decided his home is front and center pretty much and is “out” all the time (4 inches from cave max). Randals shrimp is front right but never seen unless you use a flashlight
Be aware they can definitely pair up somewhere you can't see them. They may anyway though so the 50/50/90 rule applies. When there's a 50% choice it's 90% sure it'll be wrong. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back