Pistol Shrimp - Bad Neighbor or Wrongfully Accused?

Beaker1811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to do a YWG/pistol shrimp combo, but have read a few stories of pistol shrimp accidentally killing fish (something about being a blind man running around with a loaded gun) and I have some fish that I am definitely not willing to sacrifice on the pistol shrimp altar. My question is, are these stories more urban legend or is this a real issue I need to be concerned with before moving forward? TIA!

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine since 2017, lives and hides together with a Hasselt goby, never injured or killed anyone.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the deaths were unrelated to the shrimp

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urban legend. Although my tiger pistols have definitely developed a taste for RFA...

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe they are capable of killing fish. I have a pair and would caution you on another issues -- the mess they make. If you like to keep corals in the sand bed or have smaller rocks or even have corals growing close to the sand, be ready for them to get buried from time to time. They seem to "re-decorate" a lot.

Snuffy The Seal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to do a YWG/pistol shrimp combo, but have read a few stories of pistol shrimp accidentally killing fish (something about being a blind man running around with a loaded gun) and I have some fish that I am definitely not willing to sacrifice on the pistol shrimp altar. My question is, are these stories more urban legend or is this a real issue I need to be concerned with before moving forward? TIA!
Had my pistol shrimp kill hermits before, never fish though. Pretty peaceful inverts.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to resurrect this thread, but I inherited a hitch hiker pistol shrimp and it didn't pair up with a Yasha. For weeks the yasha just avoided the shrimp. Now, the yasha is gone and I just added 4 new gobies to the 12 gallon tank. Two green banded gobies, one green gumdrop goby, and one stripped goby.

I tried to catch the pistol shrimp before I relocated the aquarium, but he hid inside the rock and I JUST DIDN'T HAVE THE HEART TO LET THE ROCK STAY OUT OF THE WATER TOO LONG.

The shrimp makes clicking sounds in the night, so I know it is taking out my small blue legged hermit crabs, several are missing already.

The shrimp is small but has that hammer claw that clicks, so I am worried that it will kill the 4 new fish I just added. Does anyone have experience with small gobies getting eaten by the pistol shrimp?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to resurrect this thread, but I inherited a hitch hiker pistol shrimp and it didn't pair up with a Yasha. For weeks the yasha just avoided the shrimp. Now, the yasha is gone and I just added 4 new gobies to the 12 gallon tank. Two green banded gobies, one green gumdrop goby, and one stripped goby.

I tried to catch the pistol shrimp before I relocated the aquarium, but he hid inside the rock and I JUST DIDN'T HAVE THE HEART TO LET THE ROCK STAY OUT OF THE WATER TOO LONG.

The shrimp makes clicking sounds in the night, so I know it is taking out my small blue legged hermit crabs, several are missing already.

The shrimp is small but has that hammer claw that clicks, so I am worried that it will kill the 4 new fish I just added. Does anyone have experience with small gobies getting eaten by the pistol shrimp?
I've had pistol shrimp for years and haven't attributed a single death to them.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had pistol shrimp for years and haven't attributed a single death to them.
That is good news, since I have had the same luck with the candy cane pistol paired with yasha in the past. However, this small pistol shrimp is not a candy cane, he is small like them but a different color, golden color, and the Yasha I purchased and placed in avoids him, so I know it was not the symbiotic pair.

However, the Yasha which was tank raised purchased is gone and I suspect the shrimp but no proof.

I just hope that he keeps to the small hermit crabs, I can get him those not a problem, but not my new 4 fish that I just placed into the system.

RickNavyDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good news, since I have had the same luck with the candy cane pistol paired with yasha in the past. However, this small pistol shrimp is not a candy cane, he is small like them but a different color, golden color, and the Yasha I purchased and placed in avoids him, so I know it was not the symbiotic pair.

However, the Yasha which was tank raised purchased is gone and I suspect the shrimp but no proof.

I just hope that he keeps to the small hermit crabs, I can get him those not a problem, but not my new 4 fish that I just placed into the system.
I had a candy cane and a Wheeler's gobie. They didn't pair and the gobie died. I suspect it wasn't eating well. I just added a new gobie, to be honest not even sure what it is, but it's purdy. The new gobie and shrimp paired instantly, and the shrimp is really active now.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 2" Tiger Pistol - responsible for the death of 3 very small talbot damsels - the carcasses were in his cave that he shared with the wide barred shrimp Goby. The pistol has lost the battle though - my Melanurus pair find shrimp quite tasty and we can only keep shrimp in our sump now.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Likely one of the non-symbiotic species.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back