Pistol shrimp in refuge/sump?

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Wanted to pop in and get some input before I do this. I’m breaking down my 30 gallon and transferring everything to my new 75DT. I was kinda upset with how much my pistol shrimp would move frags and disturb the tank. I bought him to put with my yellow watchman but they never seemed to pair despite finding each other. I made the mistake of placing sand before rock in my first tank. The new tank I did the opposite. I was planning on returning the pistol shrimp to my LFS for some credit but had a thought.... I now have a sump with three chambers. The skimmer with some rubble, the fuge with sand and some rubble and cheato and then my return chamber with the pump. Could I place the shrimp in the fuge to help keep things stirred up and clean? I know they are more carnivores than detrivores. I was wonder what everyone’s thoughts are before I do so. Do you think I’d have less problems in my larger tank if I added him there instead?
Thanks in advance. You guys are the best. Love the Reef2Reef community

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you’ll need sand and rubble in the fuge to keep him happy. Which means more maintenance for the fuge and possibly disturbing him. What frags were in the sand? In a bigger tank you’d have more room and you could always get a frag rack

OP
OP
D

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you’ll need sand and rubble in the fuge to keep him happy. Which means more maintenance for the fuge and possibly disturbing him. What frags were in the sand? In a bigger tank you’d have more room and you could always get a frag rack
I already have sand and rubble in my fuge for the pods. I also have one hermit in there. I was trying to think of alternatives to getting rid of him. My acan frags would always be flipped over. I know it’s going to be impossible to get him out of the big tank once he is in there My biggest concern is feeding him. Any thoughts?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have sand and rubble in my fuge for the pods. I also have one hermit in there. I was trying to think of alternatives to getting rid of him. My acan frags would always be flipped over. I know it’s going to be impossible to get him out of the big tank once he is in there My biggest concern is feeding him. Any thoughts?

if it were me, id put him in the big tank, see where he sets up shop and keep my frags on the other side. If he chooses in the middle, one one of the sides. Or even on some of the lower parts of your rock work.

if your fuge is set up that way it’d work. I just know when I have my display set up I want a pistol in there so I can observe the shenanigans

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a coral banded shrimp in my sump for a few months before deciding to move it back up to the display. He survived on whatever left over food made its way down there just fine and even molted a few times. I would say your pistol shrimp would probably be ok.

OP
OP
D

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might put him in the refuge and see how it goes. Worst case I can easily catch him there and move him to the DT or LFS. I never see mine eat so what do you guys think about me adding food to the fuge?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back