Pistol Shrimp: More hassle than good?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read many accounts that as interesting as it is for a goby like the YWG to have a Pistol Shrimp companion, that having a Pistol Shrimp can actually be a hassle as it moves rocks and sand and may intentionally / unintentionally injure or even in rare cases, kill the Goby. Is that generally true?

Can a Shrimp Goby do just as well without a Pistol Shrimp? My LFS does not like the idea of a deep sand bed (3-4”) which may be required for the shrimp to make a burrow.

I’ll also be keeping Snails and Cleaner Shrimp, so I’m also worried a Pistol Shrimp May eat them. If my YWG can do just as well without a shrimp maybe I’ll have just the fish.

Would love opinions. Thanks.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had a pistol shrimp for a couple of months. It found a lovely home under one of our rocks and hasn't been a pain at all. I think we'll seen him twice. lol

We'll be adding a YWG to the tank soon so he has a friend. Looking forward to it.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say go for the smaller species of pistol, the red stripe. I've had one in my 40b for 3 years now, no serious issues at all.
Sometimes it will borrow a zoa frag to block an entrance to its lair. No biggie.

The shrimp and goby will both do fine alone. You'll probably hear more snapping when its solo.

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiger pistol shrimp and a candy cane pistol shrimp paired with a hi-fin red banded goby and a tangaroa goby. Both are great additions. They are relatively small (especially the candy cane shrimp) in comparison to my other inhabitants and have caused zero issues.

They do move sand, but it is more building up/excavating their burrow. It isn’t a lot of movement, just keeping their homes tidy.

They do come out at night to scavenge for food, sometimes they are on the bottom in the sand or I have seen them swimming around the tank!

Long story short, I have had zero problems with them and would not hesitate to get another or recommend the symbiotic relationship. It’s very very neat to witness.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two Randall's in my 90g. They sometimes pair up, then go their separate ways. My YWG will pair up with the bigger shrimp when he moved to his rock, but I don't think the pistol likes his location and doesn't stay did long. Both shrimps paired up with my Tangaroa goby, but then he managed to find the slightest gap in my lid and jumped. I have a video of the Tangaroa and pistol together. I actually love hearing the snaps.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my tiger pistol and goby pair. I think that the relationship is amazing.

They shrimp is constantly digging, and the goby is always watching. They really only dig in the same spots. The dig a burrow, then the next day it's filled in and they are digging elsewhere. 4 days later they are in the first hole, lol.

When the pistol shrimp died, the goby was a lost man. He had no purpose in life. As soon as I got another shrimp, they instantly bonded and he was happy again.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A deep sand bed or a shallow one is just a matter of opinion. I think it’s a beneficial addition to a tank, but it‘s not for everyone.

As for the shrimp, it will only kill the goby if the goby is weak/dying. I had no problem with the tunnels it dug when I had one. It won’t need a DSB, but it definitely is preferable. Give it some shells for it to build a tunnel with. Pistol shrimp, at least the ones we commonly keep, aren‘t a threat to other animals, although I read that they hunt down and kill mantis shrimp, which is part of the reason gobies pariner with them.

Gogoggansgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pistol shrimp , i haven’t seen him in over a year but i hear him almost every night clicking away. I had a watchmen goby and they paired up really well. But the goby didn’t make it never did figure it out. He was cut to hell and back, regardless the pistol shrimp lives on lol

Reefer1485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiger pistol in my 20GAL and that little turd had made a nice layer under one of my rock. When I got him I had a yellow goby but the goby jumped out . Just received a new one and hope they pair or the goby finds him. The new goby is tiny compared to the pistol bc the pistol has gotten big haha. My wife and I hear the pistol about every hour snapping haha. What’s funny is my red fire fish I just got is hiding in the shrimps hole now. I never thought that would happen. So I hope the goby make his way over there too

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bumblebee goby and randall's pistol. Love the relationship they have and my pistol only digs under one rock.

I don't have a DSB, as my sandbed is only about an inch and half deep. I see mine every day, and can hear him snapping daily(mostly at night). Mine are reaching 3 years old, and have nevr had an issue with them.

Thought I had a pic of them together, but here is just my goby on the lookout:
20201215_180326.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back