PKO (Phosphate K.O)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Easyreefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

PKO, Phosphates KO​

LOGO-PKO-01.jpg

It is an ionically modified bentonite for phosphate control. It reacts with phosphate creating a new insoluble element and prevents it from returning to the water column, eliminates the bioavailability of phosphate in both freshwater and marine aquariums.

easyreefs-30.jpg

News and advantages of using PKO

• One kilogram of PKO removes more than 30 grams of PO4 (1 gr – 0.34 ppm).

• It can be used with a dosing pump, dispersing it in a 1:4 ratio with RO water.

• Phosphate removal from the water column occurs within approximately 3 hours after the application of the suspension.

• Once deposited in the sediment, PKO will continue to bind to interstitial phosphate released from the sediment until it is saturated, at this point no further binding will take place.

Don't worry

• It is not an algaecide.

• It is an inert element that does not generate any type of ecotoxicity in the aquarium.

• to dissolve the new element it would need ph 1 and in that case the problem would not be the phosphate in the reef tank.

2022-05-easyreef-macro-evo-1.jpg

How to use?

Disperse 100 g of PKO in 400 g of water and stir with a blender until a uniform, lump-free mixture is obtained. If the stirring is done manually, it is advisable to repeat the stirring after four hours to ensure a correct dispersion. The dispersion, kept in a cool and dry place, can be used for up to 30 days after its preparation.

• Measure and record the PO4 3- concentration of the aquarium water before adding the PKO dispersion.

• Add 50 ml of the dispersion.

• After 24 h, measure and record the PO4 3- concentration before adding the PKO dispersion again.

• The difference between the first addition and the second will indicate the decrease in PO4 3- that has occurred. Repeat this procedure daily until the desired objective is achieved.

• Increase or decrease the quantity of product to be dosed according to the speed* at which we wish to decrease the concentration of PO4 3- until the desired level** is achieved.

• The PKO dispersion can be dosed manually or using a dosing pump, preferably at the beginning of the night period and in an area of maximum water circulation.

Important

* We recommend an adjustment period of 4 weeks to reach a concentration of 0.05 ppm of PO4 3- .

** Once a concentration of 0.05 ppm of PO4 3- has been reached, discontinue the addition, allow 1 week to elapse without adding and check that the concentration is around 0.03 – 0.025 ppm of PO4 3- Add again if necessary. Example for a 500 L aquarium with an initial concentration of 1 ppm PO4 3-

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I saw this on reefbuilders.com and I'm interested in it. So is this a "flocculant" type additive that will be removed by the skimmer? I believe they mentioned it's "clay based". Do you have guide lines on how much it would take to remove .05 phosphates? Curious. Thanks.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Will this compound have the same impact on tangs and other sensitive fish similar to Lanthanum chloride (requires slow drip, low micron filter sock, skimmer for export)
From what I understand it’s clay that binds to phosphate and makes flocculant - I’m trying to get clarity. Reef builders did a write up on it. I believe it’s “inert” but I’m not sure if it’ll jam up gills like high doses of lanthanum will do once it binds to the phosphates.

Pablo Easyreefs

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Vi esto en arrecifebuilders.com y estoy interesado en él. Entonces, ¿es este un aditivo de tipo "floculante" que será eliminado por el skimmer? Creo que mencionaron que es "a base de arcilla". ¿Tiene pautas sobre cuánto se necesitaría para eliminar .05 fosfatos? Curioso. Gracias.
Hi, The result of the chemical reaction is a microcrystal, part of it will be exported by the skimmer but it is really not necessary, this new element would need an acidity of ph 1 to be bioavailable again. It has a Qr code on the packaging with instructions for use.

Pablo Easyreefs

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Por lo que entiendo, es la arcilla la que se une al fosfato y produce floculante. Estoy tratando de obtener claridad. Los constructores de arrecifes escribieron sobre ello. Creo que es "inerte", pero no estoy seguro de si atascará las branquias como lo harán las altas dosis de lantano una vez que se una a los fosfatos.

Thanks for the kind message, You will not have any problem with the fish or corals in the aquarium, we have been developing and testing the product for about two years, just like the rest of the products that we have in the catalog

When it comes to feeding fish and coral.....

• I have a lot to learn

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • I'm still learning a little

Votes: 79 43.4%
  • I've got it mastered

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 2.2%

Sea Dwelling Creatures