place for diy led heatsink and led's???

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a place to buy a 6 blue led setup. Probably cree xr-e's. I'm planning on running 4 24" t5s (current lighting) with 6 blue led's over my 29 zoanthids tank. Anybody know where I could find the pieces or a kit? I would prefer the heatsink to be about 2-3" x 18-20"

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a place to buy a 6 blue led setup. Probably cree xr-e's. I'm planning on running 4 24" t5s (current lighting) with 6 blue led's over my 29 zoanthids tank. Anybody know where I could find the pieces or a kit? I would prefer the heatsink to be about 2-3" x 18-20"
You can just get a ReefBrite all blue LED strip or icecap makes one too actually there are a lot out there.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt there is a complete off-the-shelf DIY kit in that size due to the heatsink. You could go to heatsinkUSA.com and get a couple pieces in half that length, but you'll have to ask them if they'll do a 20" long piece for you. They were fast, courteous, and quick to respond with me when I made my purchase from them. Recommend them if their heatsink's profile works for your application. Cutting those aluminum fins is not fun.

For LEDs, drivers, optics, etc., I've used nanotuners.com and found their prices were better than RapidLED.com, which I've also used without any problems. Reef LED Lights is a sponsor here on R2R and has good prices on their site, but I haven't purchased from them before. They do have a nice looking CREE LED strip, though. You might do an online search for "Cree LED Flashlights" to find non-reefing online vendors.

If you don't mind my asking, do you have any plans as to how much space you'll put between the LEDs?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef led lights is our new sponser here... Bills prices can't be touched and the customer service is second to none.... Highly recomended.... Check the sponser section here on reef 2reef...;)

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CREE LED strip
how do these compare to powerbrites? I'm hoping they're a lot brighter? I'm replacing 2 powerbrites.

or should I just keep the powerbrites? It's over a 29 gal tank with 4 x 24" t5's.

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ultimate goal would be a 3" x 26" heatsink. have 12 3 watt cre's w/ 80* optics. have the first led 1" inch in on each side and then 2" in between each led. Get one driver, and a fan blowing down the whole heatsink.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just something to consider. LEDs spaced 2" might look like a row of flashlights, even with wide optics such as those. I haven't tried that spacing or anything over 60 degree optics, but that's a lot of room between them if the fixture will be near the water's surface. It'll also depend on mounting height above the tank. You could always PM evilc66 and get his input, too. He's the man and has helped a ton of people to plan and troubleshoot their layout.

I haven't seen Powerbrites in person, but these will be much more intense if driven at 700mA or 1A. According to Marinedepot, the Powerbrites are run at only 350mA, and it's likely that they are using older, less efficient LEDs. I looked into getting a unit when they first came out, but the fact that they are only driven at 350mA killed the idea for me. Without a doubt, a CREE XR-E setup driven at 700-1000mA will outclass the Powerbrite.

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
light fixture is about 6" off the water surface. I have 2 powerbrites up there now which are spaced probably 1.5" apart? but they have a very bad spot light effect. I was hoping to sell those and get something that covers the full tank. I have been looking at some of the setups that are premade, but can't justify the cost. Plus it would be fun to make this! LOL

at one time back in the day I soldered 70 1 watt blue led's into the ceiling of my truck. aka the whole interior of my truck was BLUE!

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand the fun aspect of it. :D I've been working on a full LED system for my Biocube 14 for awhile now, and the soldering is the most enjoyable part of it to me. Trying to fit the heatsink into the hood, maintain the switches, use the old connectors, and make it look stock has been fun too.

This little guy was finished a couple months ago, then I burned out a string of LEDs by accidentally reversing the wiring while reassembling it. I've been busy and lazy, but I just finished replacing and wiring it back together and testing it out. Need to connect power to the upgraded fans, and then it's ready to go. Here's an old pic of the completed heatsink from when I disassembled it. Pardon the dust.

sink.jpg

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CREE LED strip
how do these compare to powerbrites? I'm hoping they're a lot brighter? I'm replacing 2 powerbrites.

or should I just keep the powerbrites? It's over a 29 gal tank with 4 x 24" t5's.

The strips have the 3watt Cree XR-E. Depending on how you drive them will determine brightness. We recommend only 700mA as their life is reduced if you drive them harder.

The powerbrights might be a better option as our strips require a heatsink. Generally with the Cree XR-E if they get too hot to hold they are too hot and will not last as long. Some companies underdrive them to keep them cooler in enclosed fixtures.

Bill

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back