Placement of a shark and stingray tank

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, I intend (not for a bit cause Covid) on making a 500 gallon shark and stingray tank what I want to do is get a 500 gallon rubber or plastic tank which is about 300 dollars and then piecing together the rest of the equitment. i want 2 bamboo sharks and a round stingray. the issue is, where am I gonna place a tank that's 86" long? I live in California but in nor cal so the coldest it gets is about 30 degrees fahrenheit, and it rains in the winter, in summer it gets as hot as 105 degrees, I have a big garage but I don't know if my dad would be very supporting of that in are garage also considering his girlfriend is breeding Plecos and Geophagaus in there, so could I but it outside with a heater and chiller? and what ways could I lower the cost of this tank, I know its probably gonna be over 1000 dollars, but I wanna keep it under 2000, I'd probably have to do stuff around the house and save money from b-day and christmas etc... btw I'm under I'm 14 so getting a real job is out of the picture. Tl;DR how can I shorten the cost of my shark tank, and where should I place it.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, I intend (not for a bit cause Covid) on making a 500 gallon shark and stingray tank what I want to do is get a 500 gallon rubber or plastic tank which is about 300 dollars and then piecing together the rest of the equitment. i want 2 bamboo sharks and a round stingray. the issue is, where am I gonna place a tank that's 86" long? I live in California but in nor cal so the coldest it gets is about 30 degrees fahrenheit, and it rains in the winter, in summer it gets as hot as 105 degrees, I have a big garage but I don't know if my dad would be very supporting of that in are garage also considering his girlfriend is breeding Plecos and Geophagaus in there, so could I but it outside with a heater and chiller? and what ways could I lower the cost of this tank, I know its probably gonna be over 1000 dollars, but I wanna keep it under 2000, I'd probably have to do stuff around the house and save money from b-day and christmas etc... btw I'm under I'm 14 so getting a real job is out of the picture. Tl;DR how can I shorten the cost of my shark tank, and where should I place it.
wrong forum sorry

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Max. Good luck with your project. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

Acroporakiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having recently gotten an 8'x5' pond with an epaulette shark, and a few stingrays, id honestly advise against it.

Its so unnatural looking seeing a pool bottom, or sides next to these fish which makes it kind of unappealing.

I have a 5gal bucket that has some eggcrate racks to work as a canister filter. It does okay, but ive gone through a bag of polyfil, and $20 in filter pads this month.

Im running an $800 protein skimmer rated to 600g on the pond filled with about 400g of water, and it still doesnt keep up with the messy eating habits of these animals.

I have to do 55g weekly waterchanges to keep nutrients low ish after carbon, and carbon dosing, that equates to roughly $45 in salt alone per month, and its exhausting my RO filters, and DI resin quickly which is another huge expense just in making water.

They eat A TON OF FOOD. Ive spent about $20 on food for mine in the last month.

In short, unless youve got an extra $150+ to just light on fire every month, I would advise against it.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having recently gotten an 8'x5' pond with an epaulette shark, and a few stingrays, id honestly advise against it.

Its so unnatural looking seeing a pool bottom, or sides next to these fish which makes it kind of unappealing.

I have a 5gal bucket that has some eggcrate racks to work as a canister filter. It does okay, but ive gone through a bag of polyfil, and $20 in filter pads this month.

Im running an $800 protein skimmer rated to 600g on the pond filled with about 400g of water, and it still doesnt keep up with the messy eating habits of these animals.

I have to do 55g weekly waterchanges to keep nutrients low ish after carbon, and carbon dosing, that equates to roughly $45 in salt alone per month, and its exhausting my RO filters, and DI resin quickly which is another huge expense just in making water.

They eat A TON OF FOOD. Ive spent about $20 on food for mine in the last month.

In short, unless youve got an extra $150+ to just light on fire every month, I would advise against it.
welp sharks are down the drain, what about a single ray? like a round ray in a smaller system is that a possibility? Thanks-Max

Acroporakiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welp sharks are down the drain, what about a single ray? like a round ray in a smaller system is that a possibility? Thanks-Max
The sharks eat significantly less than the rays, and in my opinion probably dont need as much space. My hallers rays eat about 1 large shrimp per day each, and theyre ridiculously messy eaters. My shark comes through and cleans up some of the scraps. Its not really a one or the other, more so all or nothing.

I hate to rain on your parade, but these fish are too expensive to take chances on and test limits with.

If you can afford the RODI maintenance, the cost of salt, and the cost of food, then you can start to consider either one. The cost of food, and upkeep with sharks by themselves are probably less. But my shark is boring. He hides in the rocks unless im feeding him, and occasionally will swim or walk a few laps after lights out.

A hallers ray is hardy, and easy to keep in a big pond. Id say 8'x5' footprint minimum. Theyre fun. I handfeed mine, and pet him. Most social fish ive ever met, acts like a puppy.

But these arent cheap fish. Im going to sell my ray for $200+, and the shark for over $1000 soon.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sharks eat significantly less than the rays, and in my opinion probably dont need as much space. My hallers rays eat about 1 large shrimp per day each, and theyre ridiculously messy eaters. My shark comes through and cleans up some of the scraps. Its not really a one or the other, more so all or nothing.

I hate to rain on your parade, but these fish are too expensive to take chances on and test limits with.

If you can afford the RODI maintenance, the cost of salt, and the cost of food, then you can start to consider either one. The cost of food, and upkeep with sharks by themselves are probably less. But my shark is boring. He hides in the rocks unless im feeding him, and occasionally will swim or walk a few laps after lights out.

A hallers ray is hardy, and easy to keep in a big pond. Id say 8'x5' footprint minimum. Theyre fun. I handfeed mine, and pet him. Most social fish ive ever met, acts like a puppy.

But these arent cheap fish. Im going to sell my ray for $200+, and the shark for over $1000 soon.
You truly shouldn't apologize, You have given me the most info from everybody, I won't get a shark the reason why I want one is a pet because my home is not setup for a dog, I also don't have the money, and probably not until I'm old enough to get a job, are all rays that type where there friendly? That's what I really want.

Acroporakiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You truly shouldn't apologize, You have given me the most info from everybody, I won't get a shark the reason why I want one is a pet because my home is not setup for a dog, I also don't have the money, and probably not until I'm old enough to get a job, are all rays that type where there friendly? That's what I really want.
Hallers rays are the smallest species, mine are very social and awesome creatures. Id definitely stick with that species when youre ready. The other species require ridiculously large tanks and dont do nearly as well in captivity. Honestly I was in your shoes once. I caught the high end coral addiction at 11. Id recommended starting out with a smaller aggressive fish tank, or even a reef tank. Find a cheap/free 55-100g tank on marketplace and learn with that. Learn how to maintain water chemistry, and how to read the health of your fish and aquatic life by looking at them. Dont get ahead of yourself with just setting up giant pond where little mistakes become enormously costly.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be missing something. If you have no money and are too young to work, how do you plan on maintaining a reef tank of any size? What is your budget to get going and monthly budget to keep running?

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallers rays are the smallest species, mine are very social and awesome creatures. Id definitely stick with that species when youre ready. The other species require ridiculously large tanks and dont do nearly as well in captivity. Honestly I was in your shoes once. I caught the high end coral addiction at 11. Id recommended starting out with a smaller aggressive fish tank, or even a reef tank. Find a cheap/free 55-100g tank on marketplace and learn with that. Learn how to maintain water chemistry, and how to read the health of your fish and aquatic life by looking at them. Dont get ahead of yourself with just setting up giant pond where little mistakes become enormously costly.
oh, I have a jbj 45 reef tank. I'm one step there, Also I thought you were talking about a different one, They are the brown with black spots right? because those are the ones I like, could I get away with a 150ish tank with a single one of those?

Acroporakiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, I have a jbj 45 reef tank. I'm one step there, Also I thought you were talking about a different one, They are the brown with black spots right? because those are the ones I like, could I get away with a 150ish tank with a single one of those?
Maybe if its like a shallow 150g. They only need about 8" deep water, but the more footprint the better off youll be. Hallers rays can be tan/grey with light spots, and also dark colored. Photo was from a 120g holding tank i had em in while the pond got ready. They clouded the water in 24 hours. Its a ton of upkeep in lower water volume systems
20201021_235555.jpg

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, plz judge my plan for this tank I'm going to get a 150 pond setup with overkill filtration, and I'll cycle it with damsels, ( I know cycling fish isn't a thing but that is too much live sand for me to buy) I'll put one ray and a pair of clownfish, thoughts? It will have no coral btw, also can I put it outside? and can you show me some pictures of your pond? or a video, That would be really helpful.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are dreaming of great things.
The reality is you can not afford to do this venture the right way. If you cant afford sand, how will afford salt and everything else?
I would ask how many salt water tanks you have had a success with?
I hate to see people set themselves up for failure.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are dreaming of great things.
The reality is you can not afford to do this venture the right way. If you cant afford sand, how will afford salt and everything else?
I would ask how many salt water tanks you have had a success with?
I hate to see people set themselves up for failure.
I have had 6 successful fresh and 3 salts, the first was a fowlr and the second had some corals, my latest is doing well and I'm setting up frags, I'm confident in my abilitys and after doing research I am downgrading to a 120g with a single ray, I kinda realized that my original ideas was kinda silly and way above my paygrade, I do not mean to come off condisending btw, Also thought it might be important to mention my current tank is a 45 so I'm not going from a 15 to a 120

Acroporakiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, plz judge my plan for this tank I'm going to get a 150 pond setup with overkill filtration, and I'll cycle it with damsels, ( I know cycling fish isn't a thing but that is too much live sand for me to buy) I'll put one ray and a pair of clownfish, thoughts? It will have no coral btw, also can I put it outside? and can you show me some pictures of your pond? or a video, That would be really helpful.
My pond is bare bones. Has a skimmer inside it standing in the corner next to the bucket filter. Have about 150lbs of sand in the bottom, it gets blown and pushed all over. I have a few wave makers to prevent water from going stagnant. Personally i wouldn't try to keep anything with the rays.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pond is bare bones. Has a skimmer inside it standing in the corner next to the bucket filter. Have about 150lbs of sand in the bottom, it gets blown and pushed all over. I have a few wave makers to prevent water from going stagnant. Personally i wouldn't try to keep anything with the rays.
ok, could I see some pictures? and do you run any other equitment?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back