Placement of corals in Aquascape

azreefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I'm using the wrong search criteria, but I can't seem to find any threads on this. I have about 8 coral frags at the moment, all very small.

The joy is in watching them grow after all...right! Anyway, some of them are purposefully set on rock islands like the GSP and Pulsing Xenia to avoid unwanted spread. I have Frogspawn, Favia or Platygyra (not 100% sure as it's small) a Blasto, zoanthid colony of about 20 polyps, a group of 3 mushrooms (started from one) and a small Chalice. With the exception of the first two, none of these are permanently mounted but I'm trying to find where they are "happy" so I can then permanently adhere them to the rock work.

How do you determine where you are going to place your frags?
  1. Do you move them around until you find that they are open and happy then set them there?
  2. Do you try and anticipate their future size and arrange them based on that?
  3. Do you focus on coral aggression and place them away from each other?

Really curious to hear how others are doing this. Also, what are you using to bond your corals to the rock work?

Thanks!

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the above. Trial and error. Some corals get placed perfect the first time, some take a dozen different spots before they look happy. All depends on the many variables of your particular tank.

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answer is probably all of the above... you'll need to balance all the above items mentioned and be comfortable with the fact that you'll likely end up moving things again at some point. There is no one right or wrong way to go about placement. Superglue is my preferred method, but aquamend epoxy putty is also a tried and true method.

Here's another thread for reference.

OP
OP
azreefkeeper

azreefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies!

I've ordered some BRS "thick gel" superglue after watching their video on it and I think I'm ready to start setting these in place this weekend. My frogspawn has been really difficult as that coral seems to show up great one day and somewhat shrunken a few days later. I'm not sure if it's lighting or water flow or what. Maybe I'll wait on locking that one down for a bit longer.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My perfect solution for mounting flexibility is drilling rocks before you put them in the tank with 3/8" drill bit. Then I make my own frag plugs with rubble and pex tubing, this worked like a charm for me really.
I like that style and call it Modular Aquascape. . I can also add shelves in these holes as needed.

20200803_190121.jpg

Back