Placement of gyre in peninsula tank

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Need some advice as havin issue with flow In sps tank . I have 2x gyre 250 and I have placed it horizontally on the top of the tank and over flow box is on the right hand side of the tank . The left one is blowing water directly in the over flow box and not bouncing the water back

1de578c94101d4a209c2b5af636926f3.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Need some advice as havin issue with flow In sps tank . I have 2x gyre 250 and I have placed it horizontally on the top of the tank and over flow box is on the right hand side of the tank . The left one is blowing water directly in the over flow box and not bouncing the water back

1de578c94101d4a209c2b5af636926f3.jpg
Let me start by saying I have no experience with gyres or with peninsula tanks. But could you do one horizontally at the top pushing the water to the other side, and put one on the same wall near the bottom in reverse so pull in water, to kind of make a loop effect and alternate them every couple hours so top one pulls in and bottom one pushes out?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my power head to blow into my overflow, thinking it keeps the tank surface clean. I do shut it down when I feed.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion, would to have them in the opposite of the overflow, pulling up and pushing the water towards the overflow.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagree. I have two XF280's and even at 100% there is almost no noise.

Okay I have used three pairs of XF250’s and one pair of XF230’s and they are all very loud a month or so after cleaning. I have no experience with the XF280’s so maybe they are quieter. I made an assumption that they work in the similar fashion so I could be wrong.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with this same dilemma! I had tried every configuration and flow program imaginable and couldn't figure out how to eliminate the dead spots, cyano patches, fungal patches...you name it. And then I discovered the perfect place to put the Gyre 250's---in the trash can.

I bought two MP40's and they were like a miracle in my tank. The difference between the Gyre and the MP40 is that a Gyre utilizes a paddlewheel propeller design (seen on Riverboats). The MP40 prop is designed like a jet turbine / Vornado fan (see photo diagram).

There is no magical configuration for a Gyre to effectively push water down the length of a aquascaped peninsula tank to have it bounce off of the back wall and create a gyre flow. IMO, this is why none of the awesome Gyre demo videos take place in tanks with rocks in them.

A

51--Y2Cb8XL.jpg

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no magical configuration for a Gyre to effectively push water down the length of a aquascaped peninsula tank to have it bounce off of the back wall and create a gyre flow. IMO, this is why none of the awesome Gyre demo videos take place in tanks with rocks in them.
51--Y2Cb8XL.jpg

I agree with this. Almost all my LR that are in the opposite direction of the gyres all have some sediment and stuff that needs to be blown off every few days. I think whats happening is the water is being pushed and then on the return it sort of settles down as the flow does not have nearly as much power to carry detritus up and over rockwork again.

I am in the process of looking now for either several MP60's or Tunze pumps to place on the opposite side of my gyres.

I am debating on going with either two MP60's or four MP40's (as the pricing would be similar). Any suggestions on which would be optimal?

Last edited:

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. Almost all my LR that are in the opposite direction of the gyres all have some sediment and stuff that needs to be blown off every few days. I think whats happening is the water is being pushed and then on the return it sort of settles down as the flow does not have nearly as much power to carry detritus up and over rockwork again.

I am in the process of looking now for either several MP60's or Tunze pumps to place on the opposite side of my gyres.

I am debating on going with either two MP60's or four MP40's (as the pricing would be similar). Any suggestions on which would be optimal?

Four MP40's is the way to go. Mr Saltwater Tank made a pretty solid video about this topic:

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four MP40's is the way to go. Mr Saltwater Tank made a pretty solid video about this topic:

I actually stumbled onto this last night randomly on Youtube.

I am leaning towards Tunze right now. From what I have been reading their quality and warranty periods for the newer pumps are amazing. Looking to get (2) 6155 pumps and (2) Stream 3 pumps right now with the addition to the (2) XF-280 gyre pumps I already currently have.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back