Placing new corals in tank

Matt919

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. So like I said about a week ago, brand new to this. Well, met up with a local buddy of mine and bought a few (my first) corals. Chose them off of visual appeals, but researched them once I got home. What I'm having trouble with is 1) physically gluing them, and 2) thinking of where I put them now, clashing with new corals down the line.

And words and thoughts would be appreciated.

OP
OP
M

Matt919

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running an AP700, gotta give me some time to remember and tell you what kinda lol. I will say all very "beginner" caliber. Nothing serious.

15855259684008438605934485213037.jpg

OP
OP
M

Matt919

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals have you purchased? What light are you running? Also some pictures of the set up would be helpful:)
But not to be a smart butt, but what does any of that have to do with having trouble gluing the frags? Again my friend...BRAND new.

Mike27t

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he was asking to determine if the lights can support the type of coral. Also determine where to glue them in terms of depth.

OP
OP
M

Matt919

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he was asking to determine if the lights can support the type of coral. Also determine where to glue them in terms of depth.
Wasn't trying to be combative. Was trying to learn by asking why my friend.

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matt919 I think he asked because some corals such as mushrooms, Xenia, Kenya tree coral to name a few really can't be glued, even with superglue! They secrete a mucus-like substance that doesn't let them adhere very well. Along with that, they are some of the most common beginner corals!

Mike27t

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, one quick lesson I learned regarding placement. Before I glue any frags/plugs, I try to place them in the tank for a couple of days to see how they respond to lighting/flow. Once they seem to be doing well, then ill move onto gluing them.

OP
OP
M

Matt919

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, one quick lesson I learned regarding placement. Before I glue any frags/plugs, I try to place them in the tank for a couple of days to see how they respond to lighting/flow. Once they seem to be doing well, then ill move onto gluing them.
Place them in the tank as in just in your bed or any hole in your rock?

senorsancho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say if you are having trouble with where to place or glue, just leave them on the sandbed for now!! What I use when adding frags to rock are some of those lil cutters like the gardening type (the ones shaped like a birds beak) to cut the plug part of the frag plug, then just apply all the glue to the bottom of the now circular bottom and then just glue on the rock wherever I see right. Just make sure you take the light and flow recommendations into consideration and you should be good!! You can always just remove later and reglue if you're not happy or the corals are unhappy! Good luck!!!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General rule I was always told as a beginner .
to acclimate most corals to lighting ....
place them on the sand bed . If they don’t seam happy after a few days . Move them up .

I use t5’s which seams to be what most lfs don’t use any more .
Different intensity lighting which can be tricky to acclimate some corals .
Acros I always place in my rack closet to the top .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never glue plugs to rocks ...
I have drilled holes in the rocks or even wedged frag plugs into existing holes

most times buying coral frags they’re already attached to plugs .
fresh cut frags take a little more work to acclimate

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back