Plague zoas/palys

AoD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these zoas/palys that are growing like crazy. I like them but don’t want so many. Is there a safe way to remove some from the rock in the water? Taking out the rock isn’t an option. The ones on the right side of the pic.
F8B12414-223F-4E98-AF97-F8473A853134.jpeg

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might be able to pull some off with some tools. These are Pandora Palys you have, others might know if these Paly's have dangerous Toxin levels, I'm not aware if they do. Perhaps Aptasia-X Or Franks F-Aptasia will allow you to kill polyps individually?

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use some scissors and cut away what you don't want. Make sure to clip them as close to the base as you can though. Once this is done smother the remaining tissue with some epoxy. Don't try and remove all of them at once either. Maybe 5 or 6 this week, 5 or 6 the next etc. (right before a water change) GL.

Wilson1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the exact same boat with you. The exact same zoas. They are Pandoras. I accidentally burst a polyp and I didn;t die but not sure how toxic they are. I was thinking about trying aptasia -x but don't want to kill all my other corals if they are toxic.

OP
OP
AoD

AoD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’ll try taking five or so out at a time and run carbon and possibly some purigen just in case there is some nasty toxins.

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone else mentioned, they are weeds. I made the mistake of putting them in my old tank. Aptasia X, then next day water change. For the most, part kept them in check but it was a weekly routine for me until I wiped them out.

OP
OP
AoD

AoD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about something fun like putting a nasty stinging coral next to them like a galaxia or something to keep them at bay? Probably a ridiculous idea but it sounds fun. Ha.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back