Plain old discosoma?

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems these days nobody sells just regular old shrooms. I really liked some of the green strip or fuzzy mushrooms of days long gone.

Sorry but there is no way I'm paying the price for these fancy schmancy shrooms.

Just my 0.2

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they still do. These are usually found in bulk though were common at LFS like Petco. I believe the more specialized stores had several on a rock for $50 or so.

OP
OP
N

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your comments. Not much around here. One LFS has some real nice ones in a display, but never sell any. Found a few online places, might just have to bite the bullet and pay the shipping cost.

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. I've also been having a hard time finding 'boring' discosoma.

Thanks for the tip on Petco. It makes sense they might be found in the more generic pet store, vs a specialized reef store.

I haven't asked any local reefers because they always seem to be swapping higher end collector pieces but YMMV.

OP
OP
N

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, locals all want to go with expensive schrooms...and most reef stores just want to sell sticks. :(

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may ask, everyone's interpretation of expensive vs inexpensive can be different. What would be an expectation of pricing for these?

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed price is very relative. I frequently see fancy bounce shrooms going for $75-$300 for a frag, with rare ones $500+.

I'd like to pay $20-40 a frag or $100 for a small cluster for boring, solid color type.

While it is possible to find these prices ( I recently paid $20 for a frag), in general the selection in a couple of my LFS is very limited and skews towards higher end corals and fancier shrooms.

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems these days nobody sells just regular old shrooms. I really liked some of the green strip or fuzzy mushrooms of days long gone.

Sorry but there is no way I'm paying the price for these fancy schmancy shrooms.

Just my 0.2
I have some old school blue ones

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed price is very relative. I frequently see fancy bounce shrooms going for $75-$300 for a frag, with rare ones $500+.

I'd like to pay $20-40 a frag or $100 for a small cluster for boring, solid color type.

While it is possible to find these prices ( I recently paid $20 for a frag), in general the selection in a couple of my LFS is very limited and skews towards higher end corals and fancier shrooms.
I have some old school blue ones

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in western PA just a stones throw north of Pittsburgh.
Do you ever come to Vermont? I'm not far from Rutland.

Half of my 29 gallon tank is covered with red and green striped mushrooms. I'm literally sucking out loose shrooms every month and just tossed a fist sized shroom rock away. My tank has other pests like vermetids and aiptasia so I give them away.

OP
OP
N

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No plans for a VT trip. :( Was there for a week this past June. Always loved the look and feel of VT, a beautiful state for sure.

A pic of your tank would be nice.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about shrooms like this...
20221116_105355.jpg
20221107_150513.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No plans for a VT trip. :( Was there for a week this past June. Always loved the look and feel of VT, a beautiful state for sure.

A pic of your tank would be nice.
20220710_174810_HDR.jpg

The reds have advanced more the past couple of years, pushing the green striped wagon wheel shrooms off which have been rolling over to the LPS side of the tank and settling anywhere they please. If I don't do aggressive removal from the left side they would probably take over that side as well.

One positive....I have no aiptasia where the mushrooms cover.

OP
OP
N

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220710_174810_HDR.jpg

The reds have advanced more the past couple of years, pushing the green striped wagon wheel shrooms off which have been rolling over to the LPS side of the tank and settling anywhere they please. If I don't do aggressive removal from the left side they would probably take over that side as well.

One positive....I have no aiptasia where the mushrooms cover.
Looks great!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back