Planning a R2R Secret Santa FAQ for future years. What are some questions I should be sure to include?

Santa Claus

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey all my favorite #R2RSecretSanta participants!! I need your help! I'm thinking a SS FAQ would help our participants in future years. What are some questions you think I should include? These are some of the ones I'm already planning to include:
  • What's the deadline to sign up?
  • What do I need to do to get fully registered and matched?
  • What if I sign up, but then something happens and I can't participate?
  • How do I know if I've been matched?
  • Where do I find my match?
  • How do I find my recipient's R2R username?
  • What should I send to my recipient?
  • What can I do if my recipient hasn't included their address?
  • What can I do if my recipient hasn't put any gifts on their wishlist or all the gifts on their wishlist are expensive (above the minimum gift range)?
  • What's the deadline for sending my gift?
  • What if I don't send a gift?
  • How will I know if my recipient has received their gift?
  • Is my Secret Santa (the person I'm getting a gift from) also my recipient (the person I'm sending a gift to)?
  • Will my Secret Santa send me reef-related stuff?
  • Will my Secret Santa send me livestock?
  • Can I expect to receive the same kind/value of gift that I send?
  • Will I know if my Secret Santa has already sent my gift?
  • What happens to someone if they get missed (for whatever reason their Secret Santa doesn't send a gift)?
What are some others I should include?

Last edited:

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Some general navigation help for Elfster, maybe as a separate thread, would be helpful.

Finding friends in Elfster was difficult since real names are being used and R2R names are not always included in profiles.

OP
OP
Santa Claus

Santa Claus

View Badges
Reaction score
Some general navigation help for Elfster, maybe as a separate thread, would be helpful.

Finding friends in Elfster was difficult since real names are being used and R2R names are not always included in profiles.
Thanks! I'll definitely plan for that. I'm wondering if maybe they even have some tutorial videos that would be helpful.

OP
OP
Santa Claus

Santa Claus

View Badges
Reaction score
I think having info about international participants would be good too - the questions you have seem pretty solid.
Yes! Good call. I've got some ideas for next year that I think will make things better and easier for our international participants and clearer for everyone in general.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Are we required to send tracking # info via Elfster?

I sent an anonymous message to my recipient to be on the lookout for packages. Does that suffice or must the tracking info be confirmed on Elfster as well?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I got access to the BX and can get cheap booze and tax free stuff ... need to know if the kids are naughty or nice or if I’m sending a gift to a naughty adult ...
Dewars is $29 for a 1/2 gal
Four Roses $29 et

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
^^^ I wasnt clear. It would be nice to know a approximate age: under or over 18 ....
Also if the recipient would like a gift card in lieu of .... maybe a discount from a R2R sponsor or similar arrangment

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Another thought occurred to me tonight - would it be feasible to have a "Christmas in July" gift exchange option as well? The holidays are hard to add an extra expense, and I was thinking that maybe having something in summer might be a neat way to let folks who can't participate during the holidays an option :) (I understand if it's logistically not possible with how much work putting together each exchange is!)

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Another thought occurred to me tonight - would it be feasible to have a "Christmas in July" gift exchange option as well? The holidays are hard to add an extra expense, and I was thinking that maybe having something in summer might be a neat way to let folks who can't participate during the holidays an option :) (I understand if it's logistically not possible with how much work putting together each exchange is!)
I think this is a fantastic idea and I agree! Another benefit to Christmas in July is way less risk of delay when shipping livestock, (which I’m sure many of us would love to send and/or receive).

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I believe you need to stop it! As a SS I've gone above and beyond for the reefers I've been paired up with and I haven't received squat from my SS's (this is my 2nd yr) Last yr. Paul stepped up as an awesome elf and I did receive a gift at the end of Jan. I'm a decent dude and had my SS just sent a sorry note I would have been fine. Well that's my 2 cents worth.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back