Planning my first saltwater tank

aldrichg9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I've done freshwater for many years but the interest waned and I sold all but a 20 gallon tank.
In my home office now I have a small space that just barely fits the 20 gallon tank with stand.

Because I'm building a house and intend to build a much larger setup down the road to replace this small tank, this will be as build done as cheap as possible.
For now it will likely be a FOWLR tank until I decide on some lighting, as I've only got the T5 that came with the tank.
This will also be a very slow build.
I've been collecting rock and sand for a little over a year now and I will cycle that without any fish for probably 3-4 months

I've ordered a diamond holesaw to drill the 20 gallon tank and I intend to run a 10 gallon tank as a sump.

Thinking about picking up some of the microbacter products prior to cycling rock and sand.
Also, I am still looking for a return pump, and I need to decide how I am going to set up the plumbing.
I've been watching King of DIY on youtube and plan to do as much DIY as possible.
Not that I don't have the money to buy nice things, I just want to see how much I can do on a really small scale.

One thing I won't do is allow any livestock to suffer because of me going cheap.
I'll probably start out with 1-2 fish, then focus on things like copepods and plankton, maybe other critters that are part of the lifecycle.
This will be a very slow process for me as I'll not be adding fish for a few months, and then only a couple.
Maybe after 6-8 months I will DIY and LED light of some sort and try my hand at a coral, probably a leather.

Anyways just wanted to say hello and see if there are any thoughts.
I'm sure there will be folks who don't think I should do things cheap. That's OK!
I've gone the other route before and spent a ton of money, then lost interest - partly because of the continued expenses.
This is me trying something different on a small scale.

One question: Should I start cycling rock and sand now in a tote in the garage - without the microbacter? then add it later?
Or should I wait until I have the additives to start cycling? Does it even matter?

Also, below is a picture of my space (and two of my dogs photobombing)

Greg

IMG_3357.jpg

alpburakozbay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, welcome. Hope everything will be the way you want, installation, DIY. If you will not add fish 2-3 month, you don't need to use bacteria culture. Live rock will be enough for biyological system. When installing, bury a small shrimp in the sand. It initiates the diatom process and allows bacteria to grow. For setup, For setup, do it when all your equipment is ready (salt, return pump, wavemaker, protein skimmer etc.). Sorry for my bad English.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! One option to consider is your local reef club or Facebook Marketplace, there are always people out there looking to get out of the hobby for one reason or another and you can get some good deals on nice stuff.

Agree with the live rock, if you can get some of that it will help set you up for success.

Keep us updated!!

OP
OP
aldrichg9

aldrichg9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, welcome. Hope everything will be the way you want, installation, DIY. If you will not add fish 2-3 month, you don't need to use bacteria culture. Live rock will be enough for biyological system. When installing, bury a small shrimp in the sand. It initiates the diatom process and allows bacteria to grow. For setup, For setup, do it when all your equipment is ready (salt, return pump, wavemaker, protein skimmer etc.). Sorry for my bad English.

Thanks for the input!

Your English quite good actually.

OP
OP
aldrichg9

aldrichg9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! One option to consider is your local reef club or Facebook Marketplace, there are always people out there looking to get out of the hobby for one reason or another and you can get some good deals on nice stuff.

Agree with the live rock, if you can get some of that it will help set you up for success.

Keep us updated!!

Thanks for the input.
I've been checking marketplace with little success.
There doesn't seem to be any local clubs, and there is only one local fish store which seems to have used gear laying around that they have taken in but they never want to sell it.

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.. Smart to go slow as you'll find the salty side a bit more enjoyable. I had many African Cichlids tanks back in the 80s but found my way to SW too. It's just as easy as freshwater once you get the hang of things. Making saltwater scares a lot of freshwater people but it's not that hard. You'll need to test a bit more but nothing you can't handle. Good luck.

OP
OP
aldrichg9

aldrichg9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been thinking quite a bit about a build thread.
I will start one but not until the build is really underway. I will make videos along the way of some of the different things I'm doing, then post them all once the tank is set up.

Thanks everyone for your input on this.

I'll post a build thread link into this thread once I create it, but it will probably be a couple weeks from now.

Greg

OP
OP
aldrichg9

aldrichg9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update, I did grab a cheap return pump.
Should be enough for my small setup

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back