Planning to Begin H2O2 Treatment Tomorrow...Can I Get Any Helpful Feedback?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to begin hydrogen peroxide treatment for my 20 gallon tank tomorrow and I know it's still considered an experimental treatment and therefore no precise dose has been established. The reason for the treatment is to greatly reduce the population of ich and/or velvet parasites which led to me removing all fish about a month ago. Since the tank has been fallow for a little over a month, I think I have a good chance of taking control with this method with the goal of reducing populations to management possible levels. Current inhabitants include a crocea clam, black sun coral, orange sun coral, snails, a few zoas, an urchin, and a sea cucumber. I read I should start with 1 ml per gallon which would mean 20 ml of peroxide. Any advice or opinions are welcome.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to begin hydrogen peroxide treatment for my 20 gallon tank tomorrow and I know it's still considered an experimental treatment and therefore no precise dose has been established. The reason for the treatment is to greatly reduce the population of ich and/or velvet parasites which led to me removing all fish about a month ago. Since the tank has been fallow for a little over a month, I think I have a good chance of taking control with this method with the goal of reducing populations to management possible levels. Current inhabitants include a crocea clam, black sun coral, orange sun coral, snails, a few zoas, an urchin, and a sea cucumber. I read I should start with 1 ml per gallon which would mean 20 ml of peroxide. Any advice or opinions are welcome.
I wouldn't try that without peroxide test strips. The actual effective dose in the water is wholly dependent on the amount of peroxidase and organic material present, and only the test strips can tell you where the concentration is at.

What strength peroxide do you have?
I had some issues with about the same dose killing snails. I'd also worry about the clam.
Have you seen my bench testing write up?

Jay

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't try that without peroxide test strips. The actual effective dose in the water is wholly dependent on the amount of peroxidase and organic material present, and only the test strips can tell you where the concentration is at.

What strength peroxide do you have?
I had some issues with about the same dose killing snails. I'd also worry about the clam.
Have you seen my bench testing write up?

Jay
I actually haven't seen your write up but I'll definitely take a look now....it's 3% peroxide but I really wouldn't want to put the clam at risk. I'll trust your judgement!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually haven't seen your write up but I'll definitely take a look now....it's 3% peroxide but I really wouldn't want to put the clam at risk. I'll trust your judgement!
Please understand - I've not treated peroxide in a tank with a clam, just that I've had it kill snails and they are both mollusks, so I would be wary....

Jay

cmozz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start out very slow with minimum dosing Hydrogen Peroxide is my advice. Increase slowly once a week and always continually evaluate.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trainwreck GIF

Hold my beer. I wanna try something

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it actually do anything to parasites? I always thought that at the concentration of peroxide thats safe for your other live stock, the parasites are way too big for peroxide to actually do anything to them..

I always thought the usefulness of peroxide for ich was that it minimizes reinfection of the open wound by bacteria, but actually doesn't do much for the parasite itself.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - lost all my snails and shrimp at around 5 ppm, not at first, but after a few months. The issue is that the amount of reactive peroxide is based on the organic material present for it to work on. As the algae and detritus was gradually being oxidized, I kept the dose the same, until boom - enough non-reacted peroxide was present to harm the inverts. Fish and soft corals were fine.
Jay

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason peroxide should not be used in this thread is because zero work threads exist to show it ever working in pattern outcomes for the intended benefit. for fish disease, recommend is dont shortcut what we can find on work threads

fallow and quarantine. peroxide will not supplant those hard work requirements.

adding peroxide will not help your disease issues no matter what you've read about it. I give the experiment on disease control w peroxide a zero percent chance of working based on searchable patterns.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey agreed. I would choose an oversized UV for the experiment over perox anyday.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back