Planning to use Fauna Marine Red X. any idea how it works?

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to use Fauna Marine Red-X. any idea how it works? Unlike others they do provide the ingredients list where Salicylic acid is the active ingredient.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This paper claims salicylic acid inhibits cyanobacteria growth by inhibiting a specific enzyme (catalase) that protects against hydrogen peroxide damage.

FWIW, that enzyme is not specific to cyanobacteria so I would be concerned it may impact other organisms, if that is how it works.

Abstract​

H2O2 at concentrations of 10(-5)-10(-4) M suppresses phototrophic growth of Anacystis nidulans and Anabaena variabilis in dialysis culture. The growth of the cyanobacteria resumed after a long adaptation period. In batch cultures, the growth of A. nidulans and A. variabilis was suppressed after one-time addition of 10(-2)and 10(-3)-10(-2) M H2O2, respectively. Inducing intracellular H2O2 formation by adding methylviologen, vitamin K3, or phenazine methosulfate suppresses the growth of both cyanobacteria. The catalase inhibitor salicylic acid suppresses the growth of A. nidulans and A. variabilis at a concentration of 5.10(-3) M. The data suggest an inhibitory effect of H2O2 on the growth of the cyanobacteria. H2O2 is unlikely to serve as an electron donor during photosynthesis.

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks.
It might be specific to photosynthesising creatures that may be poisened from the radicals generated during photosynthesis

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks.
It might be specific to photosynthesising creatures that may be poisened from the radicals generated during photosynthesis

Yes, that may be true.

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I am against this type of chemical intervention. Instead, got a sand-sifting Gobby and since then my sand is pure white. He turns the sand all day, moves it from one place to another, and digs caves. In so doing he is preventing detritus from accumulating and also any type of algae that used to grow.
Also, the cyano for some reason moved to my sump and is growing there occasionally, sometimes covering parts of my chaeto, the glass, and even the surface. The cyano actually goes through cycles of growth and decline so I don't do anything about it.
My 2 cents are: besides bringing the Gobi, is to manage your phosphate levels carefully to be around 0.03-0 with GFO using very slow flow.
My quarantine turned to Moorish idol /baby B cardinals is ugly cyano heaven but the water is almost nitrate and phosphate-free
DT:
2022-02-20 19.24.09.jpg

The quarantine:
20220407_151102.jpg

PopBot16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I am against this type of chemical intervention. Instead, got a sand-sifting Gobby and since then my sand is pure white. He turns the sand all day, moves it from one place to another, and digs caves. In so doing he is preventing detritus from accumulating and also any type of algae that used to grow.
Also, the cyano for some reason moved to my sump and is growing there occasionally, sometimes covering parts of my chaeto, the glass, and even the surface. The cyano actually goes through cycles of growth and decline so I don't do anything about it.
My 2 cents are: besides bringing the Gobi, is to manage your phosphate levels carefully to be around 0.03-0 with GFO using very slow flow.
My quarantine turned to Moorish idol /baby B cardinals is ugly cyano heaven but the water is almost nitrate and phosphate-free
DT:
2022-02-20 19.24.09.jpg

The quarantine:
20220407_151102.jpg
Okay, thank you.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back