Planted Tank CO2 affecting nearby reef?

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, long time reader, first time poster.

I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with running a high-energy planted aquarium with pressurized CO2, in near proximity to a reef tank. I'm currently building out a side-by-side double aquascape, which will feature a planted aquarium and a mixed reef on a single stand. I'm to the stage where I will begin my freshwater aquascape, and I'm deciding if going low-tech (no injected CO2) is safer for the reef in terms of carbonic acid accumulation. While I don't intend to run a demanding SPS dominate reef, I would like to minimize PH swing issues if otherwise avoidable.
IMG_3335.JPG

Anyone have any insights by chance?

Scott

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how much CO2 your freshwater system will release to the air. My guess is less than an often-used gas stove but more than a person breathing nearby. The home looks newer so the windows may be fairly tight and CO2 may well be an issue.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!. A salifert pH test should let you know the results. Run without the CO2 for a week and test, then run with it and compare results.

OP
OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed the home is only 5 years old, so it's pretty much an igloo cooler. The extension to this question is to what degree should I be concerned given my modest reef goals? I was a real "reef pro" about 25 years ago, but to say the least, the industry has changed a LOT! When I was last in, keeping acro was considered a fool's errand, and LEDs, reactors, rimless tanks and dosing pumps were science fiction. My goals for this reef is to keep low cost-low demand softies, some basic LPS, and a few fish. This is all part of a youtube channel I'm doing with my daughter to get her engaged with petkeeping (along with snakes, dart frogs, etc. etc. etc.), so I'm picking my battles when it comes to reef livestock. Still, it's always better to do something right the first time.

OP
OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!. A salifert pH test should let you know the results. Run without the CO2 for a week and test, then run with it and compare results.
That's a great suggestion, however I'm trying to make the call before I pull the trigger on the CO2 system. Why buy, if I will end up not using it right?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine your plants would be absorbing whatever co2 you are injecting. That's the idea of the drop checker to maintain the proper level for the plants without it being too much. A good in line atomizer or diffuser will create very fine bubbles so I wouldn't imagine there is a lot of off gassing. This is also why lots of surface movement in a planted is not recommended so that you avoid that gas exchange and keep the co2 in the water.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine your plants would be absorbing whatever co2 you are injecting. That's the idea of the drop checker to maintain the proper level for the plants without it being too much. A good in line atomizer or diffuser will create very fine bubbles so I wouldn't imagine there is a lot of off gassing. This is also why lots of surface movement in a planted is not recommended so that you avoid that gas exchange and keep the co2 in the water.
Surface movement is actually recommended in high tech planted tanks. It lets you run the CO2 at much higher levels safely, w/o gassing your fish. If I had to guess I would say the effect into the room is significant as i run 4 nano high tech tanks next to my reef and I hover around a ph of 8.

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also interested in this thread as I run a high tech planted tank several feet from where my Reefer 170 will sit.

I run an atomizer inside my tank which definitely does not dissolve 100% of the CO2 into the water column. I have thought of including outside air for the skimmer as well as a CO2 scrubber. Both are options if you feel the CO2 may be an issue.

I will say, CO2 makes your life a lot easier when it comes to planted tanks and really isn't a huge investment after the initial purchase of the equipment.

OP
OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine your plants would be absorbing whatever co2 you are injecting. That's the idea of the drop checker to maintain the proper level for the plants without it being too much. A good in line atomizer or diffuser will create very fine bubbles so I wouldn't imagine there is a lot of off gassing. This is also why lots of surface movement in a planted is not recommended so that you avoid that gas exchange and keep the co2 in the

OP
OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly some of the CO2 injected off gasses to the surrounding air, that much is inevitable. My instincts tell me it wouldn’t matter but this hobby being what it is is loaded with folks building contraptions to scrub any remaining CO2 from air they pipe into their skimmer from the south face of Everest, to gain that .05 boost in PH, etc., etc. I’m sure it’ll have an effect, but will that be to such a degree that it destabilizes my reef? The good news is I’m setting up both now, so while I cycle the reef, and can certainly collect some data.

OP
OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, thought I would update with some data, albeit somewhat anecdotal. Still cycling the reef half of this build, but thus far my water is staying at 8.2 (PH) with my planted half running at about 15ppm of CO2. I plan on raising the CO2 levels to about 25ppm so I will continue to test and report back. Build is coming out fantastic though!
IMG_3470.JPG
IMG_3600.JPG

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B48E82DA-DD21-440C-BD42-ADF16F8B716C.jpeg

my planted tank with no co2 and not even a great light. My only regret is not putting real dirt underneath the sand. You only need co2 injection for really demanding plants like dwarf baby tears. and even that might work with soil still without co2.

OP
OP
Family Tanks

Family Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B48E82DA-DD21-440C-BD42-ADF16F8B716C.jpeg

my planted tank with no co2 and not even a great light. My only regret is not putting real dirt underneath the sand. You only need co2 injection for really demanding plants like dwarf baby tears. and even that might work with soil still without co2.
Beautiful tank. Indeed it can be done, and I've done it. Using CO2 is addictive though. The results are just so great. That said, this may be the way I end up going anyway. The reef is more than enough to keep me busy.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about CO2 impacting the reef and running a skimmer, couldn't you just run the skimmer intake line up the right side of the reef stand (far side from plants)? Maybe attach it to bottom frame of tank to secure it/hide it. Since CO2 is a heavier gas, this would help limit/mitigate any spillage getting it the reef via skimmer.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience it won’t be an issue at all. I have a planted tank with co2 injections about 5 feet away from my reef tank and my reef tanks ph is never below 8.3 and I don’t dose anything at all.
the co2 from the planted tank should be absorbed in the water and used by the plants before it can get into the houses air

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%

Back