Plate coral rising from the dead?

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. Old pic of the mother plate. I would guess over 100 plates have spawned from this over the years.
967253408d07198aeab4fe9b8198f15e.jpg
Can't wait till mine get a bit more substantial, that looks awesome!

DSC03426.jpg

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy had a plate completely turn white and appeared to be just the skeleton. He was going to toss it so I placed it on the sand bed and a few months later it started coming back from the dead.

Newstead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evidently it doesn't even have to be a plate skeleton ... I bought a little branch rock with 2 generic zoa colonies on it just because I liked the rock. One group of zoas slowly died off and a month or so later I saw what I thought was another zoa starting on that branch. As it got a bit larger I realized it was no zoa. It is a tad bigger than a nickel now, and I clipped that branch off to allow it more space.
Last time I was at that LFS I noticed the frag tank that had the zoas also had some small plates.

20181211_100903.jpg

20190207_185212.jpg

Nikolas43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guy's, I just throw away mine last night actually. The reason was becasue I saw a lot of very very small creatures moving around inside and out the plate. I was using like a magnifier glasses and I saw this little guy's. I got scared because for almost 3 weeks my phosfates are getting high and I was thinking that maybe that's the reason.
What do you thing about this??? Did you saw something similar in yours??? Take a look very close to it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have 33+ years in hobby and plate coral has about the highest recovery of any coral I’ve seen in trouble

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Next time, dip it and place back in tank and see what happens

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guy's, I just throw away mine last night actually. The reason was becasue I saw a lot of very very small creatures moving around inside and out the plate. I was using like a magnifier glasses and I saw this little guy's. I got scared because for almost 3 weeks my phosfates are getting high and I was thinking that maybe that's the reason.
What do you thing about this??? Did you saw something similar in yours??? Take a look very close to it.

That's too bad, plate corals are brooders meaning they release planula. What you may have been seeing is larve being released.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m now very confused on how Fungia reproduce. You all are showing me babies but mine is doing this?
There are some plate coral spp. that break apart but most don't. However if the skeleton was damaged, cracked or broken the pieces can regenerate or grow.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m now very confused on how Fungia reproduce. You all are showing me babies but mine is doing this?
The issue at hand is " How do we know a dead coral is . ,.. ACTUALLY A DEAD CORAL? "
temperature and current already has an affect on coral survival and when a coral bleaches, it is often covered with algae which grows on the dead coral and surrounds it. Often we see long filament turf algae and assume its a goner. Its up to the fish and CUC to clear it up to prevent smothering.
Plate corals, seen in the foreground, are always the most vulnerable in bleaching events. High or low nutrient levels can affect colorful bleaching too where light or heat stress might have been aggravated by poor water quality without realizing it.
In your case, there is/was enough algae to restore the coral to its ability to re-establish the symbiosis with algae and current water quality.

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, mine isn’t dead at all. Quite healthy. It’s just literally splitting in half which seemed odd compared to everyone else’s producing babies

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back