Plate Corals of different species touching each other?

joe2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large Green Plate coral and it has produced dozens of baby plate corals over the years...so my reef bottom is full of these green plate corals. They never sting each other but will definitely kill other corals. I am wondering if different species of plate corals that look similar would sting each other? IE there are a few species that look almost the same except different colors and different juvenile forms...ie one is born free living but the other is born by living on the mother colony for a while then breaking off...thus leaving a scar where they were originally attached. since they all refuse to stay in one spot...its impossible to keep them from touching. I've even had this things climb over barriers I've erected made from corral pieces several inches in diameter.

2021 reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large Green Plate coral and it has produced dozens of baby plate corals over the years...so my reef bottom is full of these green plate corals. They never sting each other but will definitely kill other corals. I am wondering if different species of plate corals that look similar would sting each other? IE there are a few species that look almost the same except different colors and different juvenile forms...ie one is born free living but the other is born by living on the mother colony for a while then breaking off...thus leaving a scar where they were originally attached. since they all refuse to stay in one spot...its impossible to keep them from touching. I've even had this things climb over barriers I've erected made from corral pieces several inches in diameter.
As far as my friends experience goes it shouldn’t be a problem. He has 2 right next to each other and they cause no problem

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of corals will grow into one another producing a hybrid... kinda like this Banana Kiwi hybrid:

OP
OP
J

joe2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the plate corals are different colors but also might be slightly different species...ie one was born as a budding type and the other was born as a isolated polyp.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back