Platygyra lightening

BradB

Active Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2009
Messages
456
Reaction score
262
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Hudson
Here is a 'Maze Brain' platygyra. Until recently, it was under a ledge. The bottom part is light, almost white, as it was growing out of the ledge and into full light. I have since removed the ledge, and the whole coral is getting lighter under around 200 PAR. I am not sure if it is bleaching and I am killing it, or if it likes the light and is just growing faster. Should I leave this coral or relocate it to lower light?


platygyra.JPG
 
Lazy's Coral House

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
May 31, 2018
Messages
1,999
Reaction score
6,174
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Here is a 'Maze Brain' platygyra. Until recently, it was under a ledge. The bottom part is light, almost white, as it was growing out of the ledge and into full light. I have since removed the ledge, and the whole coral is getting lighter under around 200 PAR. I am not sure if it is bleaching and I am killing it, or if it likes the light and is just growing faster. Should I leave this coral or relocate it to lower light?


platygyra.JPG
I would keep an eye on it....... it may be shocked by the sudden change.
 

RSnodgrass

Active Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Mar 18, 2018
Messages
309
Reaction score
733
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've got mine in ~70 par for several years. I've also seen larger colonies of platygyra at 30' diving or shallow at 15'. Keep in mind platygyra and paragon are similar but not the same.

This brain (although not platygyra) was from a very shallow dive on the GBR but as you can see it's on the side and shaded from direct light.

dsc05533-jpg.1672046
 

LordofCinder

Well-Known Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Feb 14, 2021
Messages
992
Reaction score
1,178
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Toronto
It can take a high light , mine is on the sand centered under 150w metal halide. The coral is close to my front glass, and the back of it (facing center tank) grows much faster than the side facing the glass.

EDIT: didnt realise this is an old thread lol
 
OP
B

BradB

Active Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2009
Messages
456
Reaction score
262
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Hudson
old thread, but I did relocated it once I saw it was doing badly. Since it encrusted the rock, I only removed 90% of the coral. The remaining 10% is still alive, but not doing as well as the part in lower light.
 
Lazy's Coral House

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

  • Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

    Votes: 186 24.8%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

    Votes: 387 51.6%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

    Votes: 55 7.3%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

    Votes: 61 8.1%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

    Votes: 47 6.3%
  • Other

    Votes: 14 1.9%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Top