Platygyra or another "brain coral"?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would literally be a dream of mine to be able to grow out some of the rarer pieces we get over here and later ship them over to you guys for fair prices. I guarantee you even with shipping costs, they would be far less than what a lot of the shops sell for... especially the online ones. It's ironic that so much aquaculture takes place in America but then out of nowhere sellers here post pics of corals and color morphs people act like they've never seen before. I'm afraid it's only a dream for now though...shipping corals internationally is a serious legal thing.
We get coral from where ever it's legal to collect and ship. I've seen the importer prices. I just can't provide a list as I'm not a business.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We get coral from where ever it's legal to collect and ship. I've seen the importer prices. I just can't provide a list as I'm not a business.
I have too...before I came here I worked for a shop that I'm sure you know the name of...not gonna say which though...I also know a collector in Bali and he's shared with me what he's paid for the corals he exports...

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unsure...if it weren't in any way possible, were J.E.N. Veron books just educated guesses? He's got a website with the species identified and pictured.
Veron's books were from a time before molecular analysis was used in corals, and he still uses morphological characteristics to classify and identify his images and specimens. With the use of molecular data, we found out that species boundaries were murkier than we thought, which is why for most stony corals, it is not possible to be sure about the species of a specimen without genetic data. A combination of morphological characteristics and collection locality should be used when trying to identify corals to the species.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one came in with my live rock, I thought that it was a maze or brain coral. Doesn't do anything, couldn't even tell you if it's growing, been half a year and still looks the same.
20221217_162514.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if i should throw this guy in the mix for a further discount...it about $36 though so a little on the pricey side...
Screenshot_2023-06-04-14-04-31-988_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-04-14-04-31-988_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-04-14-04-31-988_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That lobo would cost me about $125. I love lobos so yes.
Really? $125??? That particular one caught my eye with all the tye dye pinks, blues, and greens. It reminds me of a sunset. He's asking the equivalent of $36 for it but I could probably get a small discount by combining the two...let me check...

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the pastel colors on that lobo.

The maze in the first post looks quite a bit like mine. Unfortunately I have no idea of species. My son n law gave it to me. It did absolutely nothing for a few years. Tried different tanks, lighting etc and finnaly I got tired of looking at it stagnant so I put it in the frag section of my sump and now it's starting to inflate and color up some.
20230604_120346.jpg
20230604_115823.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the pastel colors on that lobo.

The maze in the first post looks quite a bit like mine. Unfortunately I have no idea of species. My son n law gave it to me. It did absolutely nothing for a few years. Tried different tanks, lighting etc and finnaly I got tired of looking at it stagnant so I put it in the frag section of my sump and now it's starting to inflate and color up some.
20230604_120346.jpg
20230604_115823.jpg
I think the seller went to sleep. I'm sure if I bought the Platygyra and the Lobo he'd offer some sort of discount at least

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be 400 here and classed ultra rare
Really? In Australia? I thought down there the prices were a little bit less since the GBR has some incredible color variations and shipping costs are far less in comparison to shipping to Europe or America. Maybe I just thought that because of the Scolys you guys have access to for lower prices (or that's what I heard on R2R at least).

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They agreed to come down to $29 so i think I'm going to get it with the Platygyra for 700 + 1000 + 250 baht delivery from across town. So for both the total would come to about $55 for both including shipping. Even though I'm trying to save money and maybe get a new small fish as well, if it really is a piece so hard to come by anywhere else I should really capitalize on this opportunity while I have it especially given the price. The seller said it has some slight bleaching but after asking him when the pic was taken he said just yesterday and I don't see any significant bleaching at all...

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They agreed to come down to $29 so i think I'm going to get it with the Platygyra for 700 + 1000 + 250 baht delivery from across town. So for both the total would come to about $55 for both including shipping. Even though I'm trying to save money and maybe get a new small fish as well, if it really is a piece so hard to come by anywhere else I should really capitalize on this opportunity while I have it especially given the price. The seller said it has some slight bleaching but after asking him when the pic was taken he said just yesterday and I don't see any significant bleaching at all...
It's like an addiction having a reeftank, isn't it?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like an addiction having a reeftank, isn't it?
Haha yes! Btw, do you think it would be difficult for it to recover from the bleaching? I haven't kept many Lobos...the extend of the bleaching is shown in the picture which was taken a day or two ago (i don't see much).

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell, picture looks like he's put on extreme blue and uv light to get the wham factor. Haven't had a lobo before either so i am not much of help here. I would say start her of in lower light and give it a feeding here and there.
Good luck and post a true picture when you got it, would be interesting.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i go ahead and get it tomorrow I will! So what corals are your favorites?
Hard to tell, picture looks like he's put on extreme blue and uv light to get the wham factor. Haven't had a lobo before either so i am not much of help here. I would say start her of in lower light and give it a feeding here and there.
Good luck and post a true picture when you got it, would be interesting.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i go ahead and get it tomorrow I will! So what corals are your favorites?
I had to think about that for a minute, I am aiming for a mixed reef but when I look at what's dominating my tank I gotta say Anemones.
I love anemones, got a bubble tip(actually 6), a few mini maxis, a rock flower, an adhesive and a tube anemone. They are such interesting animals.

Back