Please Advise

Ricky Thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 54g corner bowfront FO. I plan to only run the lights when I have company over that I want to show tank to in hopes to keep algae at bay. I have 2 penguin 350 filters each with extra biomax in a bag, 2 purifens, GFO, & carbon; No Skimmer. I plan to add:

Clown fish
Strawberry Dotty back
Yellow tail Damsel
Cardinal
Yellow tang

Salinity is 1.023

Any suggestions ???

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is in an area where it gets natural light (from windows) it's likely enough for the fish's natural rhythms. If not, I believe it's recommended to run the lights for four to six hours or so per day.

But I would suggest you run the lights at least when you're home. Heck, you of all people should get to enjoy the tank, not just your visitors.

That's me $.02 anyway.

ChrisAndJulie2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to post in another part of the forum for more replies.

You can always put the light fixture on a good timer. I don't recommend any of the cheap ones as they are prone to catching on fire. Def recommend a skimmer, though there are many who don't run them. How new is tank?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lights do you have?. I would bump up the salinity to 1.025 and keep you temp at 78.
As @dbl suggested the fish need light and a lighting schedule of at the least of 8 hours a day to stay healthy.
Regular water changes and small feeing amount will help a lot with algae control.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is in an area where it gets natural light (from windows) it's likely enough for the fish's natural rhythms. If not, I believe it's recommended to run the lights for four to six hours or so per day.

But I would suggest you run the lights at least when you're home. Heck, you of all people should get to enjoy the tank, not just your visitors.

That's me $.02 anyway.

Agree 100%.
You have the tank for you not for your friends.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back