Please Help - Brown Algae

Andrew Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

From all my research I thought I had hair algae and diatoms. I just cleaned the glass and looked closer, and think it might be dinos instead.

1667859436589.jpeg

1667859595632.jpeg

Is there a way to verify without purchasing a microscope? I do see the bubbles float to the surface right from this area.

Parameters:

pH: 8.06
Temperature: 77F
Salinity: 34.1 ppt
ORP: 367 mV
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0 on my Salifert test kit, but a local aquarium store checked it with a Hanna checker a few days ago and they read 0.08.

And what is the way to get rid of this pain in the butt algae? I have 2 clownfish and a few corals inside the tank.

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dinos to me. If you have 0 nutrients then your tank is likely to get dinos. 0 phosphate and 0 nitrates is bad news.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone,

From all my research I thought I had hair algae and diatoms. I just cleaned the glass and looked closer, and think it might be dinos instead.

1667859436589.jpeg

1667859595632.jpeg

Is there a way to verify without purchasing a microscope? I do see the bubbles float to the surface right from this area.

Parameters:

Phosphate: 0 on my Salifert test kit, but a local aquarium store checked it with a Hanna checker a few days ago and they read 0.08.

And what is the way to get rid of this pain in the butt algae? I have 2 clownfish and a few corals inside the tank.

Thanks,

Andrew
Beginning of dino.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

1667859436589.jpeg

1667859595632.jpeg

Parameters:

Thanks,

Andrew
I'm battling dinos as well.

I've been cleaning the tank daily. That means the sand and rocks. Basting rocks and stirring sand (can't really gravel vacuum my tank). It's all caught by the filter floss which I then remove.

I've dosed neophos to raise my po4 to acceptable levels. I've also been dosing bacteria. Mb7 is a good one.

I'm running a 2 day blackout currently with an in tank uv sterilizer.

Hoping this takes it back down to a manageable level.

Not sure if this is also helping but I'm dosing live phyto and my pods are starting to thrive again in the tank during this blackout. Tons and tons of them on my glass which I haven't really noticed since the dinos began.

Besides that it's just time and commitment to get rid of them. Yours look like the type that disappears at night which means get a uv sterilizer for the tank.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one off many threads on r2r on how to use a coffee filter to see if have dinos or not,I've never tried this and this thread not much info on how to do it,but sure there many more threads on ins and outs on how to actually do it if use search option on r2r but basically put tank water through a coffee filter and shake and see if re-clumps back together I think is how it's done

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here better explanation for you.
Good luck

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is one off many threads on r2r on how to use a coffee filter to see if have dinos or not,I've never tried this and this thread not much info on how to do it,but sure there many more threads on ins and outs on how to actually do it if use search option on r2r but basically put tank water through a coffee filter and shake and see if re-clumps back together I think is how it's done
Im not a fan of this method as it is suggestive and doeds not confirm

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm battling dinos as well.

I've been cleaning the tank daily. That means the sand and rocks. Basting rocks and stirring sand (can't really gravel vacuum my tank). It's all caught by the filter floss which I then remove.

I've dosed neophos to raise my po4 to acceptable levels. I've also been dosing bacteria. Mb7 is a good one.

I'm running a 2 day blackout currently with an in tank uv sterilizer.

Hoping this takes it back down to a manageable level.

Not sure if this is also helping but I'm dosing live phyto and my pods are starting to thrive again in the tank during this blackout. Tons and tons of them on my glass which I haven't really noticed since the dinos began.

Besides that it's just time and commitment to get rid of them. Yours look like the type that disappears at night which means get a uv sterilizer for the tank.
Since you already have lights off, (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) continue for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back