Please help. Corals dying/dead. Can’t figure out why

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mention of fish, but if there is ammonia, then the fish's well being should be addressed as well before they die as well.

OP
OP
O

OCFishFunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a mistake on reporting the salinity.

please see picture:

2224A0A9-9D00-4553-8F07-3A1053F90502.jpeg

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty hard to determine the cause based of test strips and changing information. To keep it simple I'd say make sure your salinity is around 1.025 and keep it stable. I don't know how big your tank is, but if it's on the smaller side you will see bigger swings in parameters. You really gotta make sure the tank doesn't evaporate too much water, making the salinity rise. If you have a small tank that could be the cause. Make sure to top off at least once a day, preferably more often, with fresh (RO/DI) water.

It can also depend on how much livestock you have in your tank. Since it hasn't been running so long you gotta make sure to add fish slowly over time. Seeing your ammonia it could have to do with the tank not being fully cycled and adding fish too soon.

The other parameters seemed fine according to my knowledge. 10 ppm nitrate can be a little high for such a new tank tho, it's not bad for the corals and I know plenty of people who keep their nitrate high, but on a new tank in can cause algae issues.

Make sure you do weekly 30% waterchanges for know and test your water regularly with reliable test kits. Hopefully we can get a better insight of how your system is running then. Please ask questions if something is unclear, and good luck with the tank!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back