please help!!! fast!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the scales are a little puffed out, not much. i think its probably dropsy but i did xtra research i its either that or Dwarf gourami Idovirus. how 2 treat dropsy?
You can try kanamycin - in your bucket/hospital tank. Also epsom salts have been tried. It's usually either a kidney (as jay said) - or a circulation issue - and is usually extremely hard to treat successfully (assuming thats what it is)

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this may be a little late but I am new to salt water coming from fresh water. I recently had a similar problem with my honey gourami and was able to treat him with salt. He was at the point where he was actually floating upside down when I put him in the salt water and he is now perfectly fine. I had to use the highest level of salt listed in this article for about 10 days. I did slowly raise the salt levels over the course of a few hours so as not to shock the fish and I also did several water changes to lower the salt before I put him back in to his main tank. In the past I have had great luck with treating all manor of fresh water diseases with salt. Its really all I ever use any more. Here is one of the best articles I have found about treating fresh water fish with salt. I don't know if you can use marine salt for this though. I have only used aquarium salt to treat fresh water fish.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearer pics of the fish would help - my guess would be iridovirus just do to how common it is in dwarf gouramis - I lost every one I had to it. The gouramis tend to get very listless and will wash out in color (going grayish in appearance) until eventually dying. It typically doesn’t spread to anything (except dwarf gouramis).

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear - in the future I would recommend looking at honey gouramis or the larger types (blue, gold, opaline, etc.). They are much less prone to iridovirus (assuming that was the cause of death).

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this gourami for my first aquarium ever, 10g. It fit perfectly with my danios and Bn its last home was my 28g second tank. I could rly go bigger in a ten, but am interested in blue gouramis
Honeys tend to be healthier - doesn’t help with the blue though. Otherwise I’d look at bettas (close cousin to gouramis). There are other less common species of gourami, but they are harder to keep. I’d get the pleco out though - even bristlenose get pretty big and produce a lot of waste.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this gourami for my first aquarium ever, 10g. It fit perfectly with my danios and Bn its last home was my 28g second tank. I could rly go bigger in a ten, but am interested in blue gouramis
not to rush the mourning but there are also three-spot gouramis. the mrs is a fan of hers.

OP
OP
death-by-reef

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bn is in my 29 2, had to shut down the ten because of leaks
Honeys tend to be healthier - doesn’t help with the blue though. Otherwise I’d look at bettas (close cousin to gouramis). There are other less common species of gourami, but they are harder to keep. I’d get the pleco out though - even bristlenose get pretty big and produce a lot of waste.
also have another bn in my 40b malawi.
not to rush the mourning but there are also three-spot gouramis. the mrs is a fan of hers.
ill look into that

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back