Please help Fluke treatment questions

201reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I currently have 5 fish in a 37g QT, a yellow tang, a purple tang, sohol tang, and 2 clown fish. I noticed the yellow tangs eyes are cloudy and looks to have stuff attached to its eyes that I can see. I am going to do a fw dip to confirm, but I believe it to be flukes. My question is regarding treatment. The qt has 40pds of live sand in it. I would like to dose the water as well as med soaked food to treat them. Is it safe to do both at the same time? Should I do one before the other? Also what’s a good recipe for soaking the food in meds.

Meds I plan on using are general cure/focus soaked food. And treat the tank with either general cure or prazipro. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly FW dip and prazi for the flukes. You can feed the medicated food as well but if you don’t see white stringy poop, I see no reason.

Fluke info

OP
OP
201reef

201reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give an update. Fw dip confirmed flukes. Started prazi. Lost the sohol today some time during day, and purple tang is doing really bad. 2 clowns seem fine, and yellow tang is covered but acting normal. Think the purple tang is done for, hope the remaining 3 make it.

had no issues in this tank until the 2 new purchases this weekend we’re introduced (sohol and purple tang).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give an update. Fw dip confirmed flukes. Started prazi. Lost the sohol today some time during day, and purple tang is doing really bad. 2 clowns seem fine, and yellow tang is covered but acting normal. Think the purple tang is done for, hope the remaining 3 make it.

had no issues in this tank until the 2 new purchases this weekend we’re introduced (sohol and purple tang).
It is of course possible to have two disease issues going on at the same time. Skip the medicated food though, unless you dose it properly (see the articles on it here I wrote one and there is a medicated food calculator from another member).

What can happen with Neobenedenia flukes is that the prazi works...too well. The flukes all drop off and then that leaves hundreds of tiny holes in the fish's skin and they bleed out. No real way around that though.

Jay

OP
OP
201reef

201reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is of course possible to have two disease issues going on at the same time. Skip the medicated food though, unless you dose it properly (see the articles on it here I wrote one and there is a medicated food calculator from another member).

What can happen with Neobenedenia flukes is that the prazi works...too well. The flukes all drop off and then that leaves hundreds of tiny holes in the fish's skin and they bleed out. No real way around that though.

Jay

Thanks for the reply. It looks like I’m dealing with brook as well. Purple tang is discolored this morning and looks like peeling. Only thing I can get my hands on today is ruby reef rally. Going to give each a bath in it. Can I do all the fish at same time? Or should I do each alone

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the dip bucket is large enough and you use aeration, all at once should be fine.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did the dip this morning. Came home purple and yellow tang were dead. Just the two clowns left
Oh no and sorry to hear. As with any treatment, a fish in distress can improve or further deteriorate. Prazi does reduce oxygen and appetite. other factors are cleanliness of bucket, type of water and temperature of water.

trout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Dipping fish in strong Acriflavine solution (6 ppm) over 30 minutes may address this problem by preventing secondary bacterial infection.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to be late coming to this thread. I would have added that my last tang acquisition still has Prazi-resistant strain of flukes. I've had to resort to Formalin and that has helped, fish is noticeably improving.

I am sorry for your loss, especially the YT in these times.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back