Please help I am totally new to ich and my flame angel has it

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got my first expensive fish, the flame angel and it was doing perfect, eating and everything, the next morning he had ich loads of it, he is the only one in the tank with it so I took him out but I dont have a QT so I put him in a bucket with plenty hiding spots a heater and an airstone for oxygen, I also added some ich medicine which has copper I believe, apart from doing several water changes a day what else can I do to treat him? I am very new to ich and saltwater, I also ordered some pellets with onion to boost their immune system.
Should I add him back to the tank and pray my other fish wont get it because their immune system or keep him in the bucket till he cures?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has less now... he is still pretty active and stuff no other fish seem to have it yet. You can clearly see the spots on his tail in the second to last picture. TO recap it got like this in like 6 hours. He was perfectly fine and getting used to his new environment fine and it 6 hours boom he is like that and I am completely panicked lol

5074D326-05AB-4A14-96E7-FE41C4ED7BF1.jpeg

A90AFDE5-37EF-4016-98A2-A29D1BF35DA1.jpeg

350FAEF8-07DF-4518-AA5E-EFB44FCC60C8.jpeg

DCC74F5C-7C00-40E9-AD6A-9527DCD41F1C.jpeg

ABA78C0C-93D9-4C95-BBAD-112250C7A7C7.jpeg

C9FB1519-8FB8-46F3-BA15-3FEF1B168488.jpeg

Last edited:

LuckyPhil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its velvet and its all over his body not just fin - how can you not see it? :(
Not sure if you can save him in time, you can freshwater dip and then straight to QT with Copper.
You will also need to treat any other fish in your tank and then leave your display tank fallow for 6 weeks.
Read this thread by humblefish
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phil's right.

And he's included a link to a clear and concise battle plan.

That looks very much like velvet to me as well, and velvet is a fast-moving killer. You'll want to ramp copper to therapeutic levels (in a QT, of course...) within 48 hours. You'll need to treat every fish in your tank, and the display will have to be "fallow" for a minimum of six weeks. (76 days would ensure that there's no ich in your display either.)

~Bruce

BubbleFett42079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't wait. Take all the fish out and QT. I understand that you think the flame angel is doimg better, but what if the infextion is in the gills too. You won't be able to see the affected parts.

Listen and learn from reefers who have gone through this. Take all your fish out, QT and leave the tank fallow for 76 days.

If you don't heed the word, you run the risk of killing off all your fish, which would be a very expensive lesson to learn.

OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we found out it was a bacterial infection, the angel sadly passed but all my fish are fine and have copper treatment.
Congratulations you officially have ick, you are no longer a virgin...if this tank is new, looks like new rocks, you might think about starting over right now, what is fish stock , any inverts?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that the angel passed...

all my fish are fine and have copper treatment.

Are you dosing copper into your display tank? Be aware that your liverock will absorb some of it, and use an appropriate copper test kit to maintain therapeutic levels of copper. Also, be aware that you'll likely never be able to use that liverock for corals or invertebrates, as it may leach copper in the future, which is toxic to invertebrates - including corals.

If kept at therapeutic levels for 30 days, it should clear velvet from your other fish, though.

~Bruce

Back