Please help ID worm

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This white worm in the second two pictures is only on the skeleton of one acanthophyllia. It has tunneled into the coral skeleton and also has sand tunnels wrapping around the skeleton that I've found almost daily. They are only on the one meat coral. I have two other meats that have yielded no worms through dipping while this specimen continues to have these coming out the past three days. I have been dipping in Bayer followed by Iodide. Alot of people seem to think these are a type of bristle worm so I included a picture with my typical bristle
20191205_170719.jpg
Screenshot_20191203-171834_Video Player.jpg
20191203_081346.jpg

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the white but the red ones are bristle worms.

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the white but the red ones are bristle worms.
I included the regular bristle worms because people really think the white are also a bristle. The tunneling into the skeleton and sand tunnel behavior is why I'm questioning that, although I know there are a lot of different bristles.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I included the regular bristle worms because people really think the white are also a bristle. The tunneling into the skeleton and sand tunnel behavior is why I'm questioning that, although I know there are a lot of different bristles.
@DSC reef @Lovemyreef2015 @KJ

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This acanthophyllia is the newest addition to my tank. These worms seem to have survived my initial dipping regimens (coral RX, Bayer, iodide all for 10 min with a powerhead) , but I'm really hoping are only in the skeleton of this coral.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think it looks like some sort of Eunicida but am far from an expert I've only been able to use Google and asking local friends for help. Was hoping someone on here had come across them

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think it looks like some sort of Eunicida but am far from an expert I've only been able to use Google and asking local friends for help. Was hoping someone on here had come across them
The individuals that I tagged are experts. They will have an answer for you.

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much man. If I continue to find them over the next few days I'm gonna start to get really worried. Was pretty shocked more worms came out today when I dipped ( day 3 ) I noticed something was up because the meat coral wasn't fully extending. It seems to be happier now that I'm removing these. I'm doing a tank transfer in the next couple weeks so if this is something really bad I'll take special precautions and do some extra dips on my other LPS.

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also how weird are the little poop/eggs coming out of this monstrosity?! The first one has been alive in a tiny cup next to my tank for 4 days.

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been reefing a year and I knew at some point I was gonna encounter more than Aiptasia! These things seem to have a lot of people stumped. Tomorrow when I dip again I'll get pictures of the holes in the coral skleton they're coming out of.

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've so far gotten fireworm, peanut worm, bristleworm, bobbit worm, medusa, damaged feathe duster as Id's haha so at this point I'm not ruling anything out. They're clearly segmented so not peanut. Have a visible mouth but no visible pincers so im unsure on Eunicida... trying to ID these has me thinking about the endless possibilities we face for hitchhikers

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've found them! Sigalionidae is the lead suspect.

Screenshot_20191205-201749_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm throwing them out but they seem to find their way back into the acanthophyllia nightly. I set a worm trap last night and only caught regular bristles. Getting ready to dip the acanthophyllia for the fourth day in a row will report back.

Back