Please help ID

Reefing Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've had this blond naso tang for several months and he has been an absolute pig eating everything he can get. Yesterday he stopped eating and I noticed some spots on his fins and a bloth on the bottom (within the circles). Can someone please help ID and provide treatment options? I have access to a 20G QT assuming I can catch him in the evening.

Thanks in advance.

0C5A7383_a.JPG

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Any new additions to the tank
2. That is a big 'lesion' - it almost looks like lymphocysits (nothing to worry about) --- but---- the fin is another issue - it looks to me like a parasitic issue - velvet or crytpocaryon..

@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
R

Reefing Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - agree with you're having a QT tank read
Thanks. The only new additions have been coral. Fish wise everything prior has always been quarantined. I’m thinking something came in with a frag possibly or maybe on CUC.

Anyhow, I got him in the QT now. Copperpower treatment best course of action or something else?

I also recently purchased a UV unit that has yet to be installed, so am hoping once installed may help with managing whatever parasites are in the DT.

Thanks again.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my concern: the spots are more or less superficial - if they are ich, they are not nearly enough to stop a fish from feeding. Is the fish breathing fast? Can you post a short video of it? I think there is another more immediate reason why the fish suddenly stopped feeding.

Are there other fish in the tank? Are they doing o.k.?

I presume the corals and inverts are fine, you can rule out water quality issues then.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Reefing Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my concern: the spots are more or less superficial - if they are ich, they are not nearly enough to stop a fish from feeding. Is the fish breathing fast? Can you post a short video of it? I think there is another more immediate reason why the fish suddenly stopped feeding.

I presume the corals and inverts are fine, you can rule out water quality issues then.

Jay

Jay
Thanks Jay. Unfortunately I woke up this morning and the tang was dead in QT. He had some white blotches on his stomach rather than the typical white stress spots. From what I recall he was breathing quickly the past few days.

My hippo in the DT has a couple spots still and my purple did as well however appears to be fighting it. All my fish in DT are eating well. Any ideas what could be floating around in the DT?

Thanks again.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the Naso. Tough situation.

I agree with seeing prabably either ich or velvet on the pectoral fin, but I'd be surprised if that was a killer.

If you do have velvet in the display (fast breathing indicated), all fish need to get into copper ASAP.

Jay and others, would flukes or other worms cause the quick breathing and death? And would it be worth the shotgun approach of dosing Prazi into QT and display?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about the Naso. Tough situation.

I agree with seeing prabably either ich or velvet on the pectoral fin, but I'd be surprised if that was a killer.

If you do have velvet in the display (fast breathing indicated), all fish need to get into copper ASAP.

Jay and others, would flukes or other worms cause the quick breathing and death? And would it be worth the shotgun approach of dosing Prazi into QT and display?
I have heard both pro and con about dosing in the display. My vote would be 'no', unless its the only option

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning on the side that this may be a parasite, perhaps ich. How is it acting? Is there elevated breathing or lethargy? These could be potential signs of deadly illnesses like marine velvet. Keep an eye on the fish and definitely have your quarantine ready, in the event that things get worse.

OP
OP
R

Reefing Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning on the side that this may be a parasite, perhaps ich. How is it acting? Is there elevated breathing or lethargy? These could be potential signs of deadly illnesses like marine velvet. Keep an eye on the fish and definitely have your quarantine ready, in the event that things get worse.
Thanks for the feedback folks. I really appreciate the help.

here's a pic of the hippo. A patch seems to have developed on his side over the past day and a half. Here's a video I just took. RODI bath in order? Straight to QT? If so, should I ramp up the Copperpower or set ir to 2 - 2.5 ppm immediately? Other?

Thanks again.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

here's a pic of the hippo. A patch seems to have developed on his side over the past day and a half. Here's a video I just took. RODI bath in order? Straight to QT? If so, should I ramp up the Copperpower or set ir to 2 - 2.5 ppm immediately? Other?

Thanks again.
To me - that looks like an injury. I would not change the copper.. If worse - maybe consider antibiotics. @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
R

Reefing Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me - that looks like an injury. I would not change the copper.. If worse - maybe consider antibiotics. @Jay Hemdal
Thanks. He does have spots (grains) on his eye though so am wondering if he should go into quarantine at this point or wait it out. If QT what level of copper? I have been feeding metroplex infused frozen food the past few days however. Thanks again.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. He does have spots (grains) on his eye though so am wondering if he should go into quarantine at this point or wait it out. If QT what level of copper? I have been feeding metroplex infused frozen food the past few days however. Thanks again.
I would put him in QT - and I would use the recommended dose of the product you choose.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks again.
The localized lesion rules out flukes or protozoans - those all grow in a more random fashion. This lesion would be an injury, or an injury that has been followed by a bacterial infection. That isn't to say that the fish doesn't also have ich (you mentioned the spots on its eyes)....i just can't see that in the video.

IMO - a FW dip isn't warranted. The copper will help if the fish also has ich. Moving to a QT and dosing with antibiotics would be an option, and then dose copper if the ich indeed does flare up.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Reefing Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I really appreciate the advice. I couldn't catch him with the trap tonight. Not hungry enough or a little skiddish I guess. I'll try again in the morning.

@Jay Hemdal which antibiotic(s) would you recommend?

Thanks again.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, don't use rodi for dips. Use tap water, ran to match the tank's temperature.

I usually use dechlorinated tap water, drawn from the tap at the same temp as the tank. RODI can be used if you warm it up and add a pinch of sodium bicarbonate and then test the pH to match, but for me, that is always more work (grin).

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I really appreciate the advice. I couldn't catch him with the trap tonight. Not hungry enough or a little skiddish I guess. I'll try again in the morning.

@Jay Hemdal which antibiotic(s) would you recommend?

Thanks again.
Antibiotics are ALWAYS a guess. External bacteria in fish are almost always gram negative. Therefore, picking a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic is the best guess: Furan-2, Maracyn -2 , Neoplex or maybe Kanaplex. Some people mix antibiotics, but I think that is risky.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Reefing Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics are ALWAYS a guess. External bacteria in fish are almost always gram negative. Therefore, picking a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic is the best guess: Furan-2, Maracyn -2 , Neoplex or maybe Kanaplex. Some people mix antibiotics, but I think that is risky.

Jay
Thanks Jay. I have furan-2 and Kanaplex however I’ll try Furan first assuming I can catch the guy. Too many hiding places in the rocks. Almost every other fish has entered the trap except him. It’s like he knows. ‍

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back