Please help identify disease!

Smcevoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I lost both clowns wednesday really fast to what looked like brooks , so I setup a hospital quarantine yesterday morning and started treating the rest in copper as my tangs started looking like something was maybe showing. All actually look good except my spotted Kole tang. Can someone please give your opinions on what you think this is? It was whitish when she was in my display tank and darkened in the copper QT. Please note that those whitish dots are her spots naturally I’m refering to the patch’s and area dear dorsal fin.

43BA70A5-CEDB-4CBB-81E7-7975BBB3BDF6.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can not positively ID what is wrong with your Tang.

Copper does not effectively treat brook.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be bacterial. Is it eating?

Correct about copper and brook.

OP
OP
Smcevoy

Smcevoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be bacterial. Is it eating?

Correct about copper and brook.

None of them are eating the last couple of days

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella

While this disease is often found in clownfish, it can affect any fish. It is often identified by an appearance of the skin sloughing off but can present in several different ways including ick-like spots or even almost look like velvet. This is a fast killer and needs to be treated quickly when symptoms are first spotted. Treatment includes Metroplex, Acriflavine, Freshwater dips and Formalin. Repeated treatments may be needed to clear the fish completely along with transferring the fish to a sterile tank in between dips.
http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

OP
OP
Smcevoy

Smcevoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella

While this disease is often found in clownfish, it can affect any fish. It is often identified by an appearance of the skin sloughing off but can present in several different ways including ick-like spots or even almost look like velvet. This is a fast killer and needs to be treated quickly when symptoms are first spotted. Treatment includes Metroplex, Acriflavine, Freshwater dips and Formalin. Repeated treatments may be needed to clear the fish completely along with transferring the fish to a sterile tank in between dips.
http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/
Does metroplex also treat ich and velvet?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain to me why to strip the copper? I’m just trying to understand all this it’s new to me
Copper is ineffective against Brooklynella and is an appetite and immune suppressant if doses too high too fast. Fish really need a fairly slow ramp in concentration in order to maintain feeding impulse. Typically, a week from 1ppm to the 2ppm therapeutic dose.

If youre dealing with brook and they aren’t eating, removing the (ineffective) copper and adding seldom and garlic to the food (to stimulate eating) is your first priority, as well as using metroplex or one of the order agents listed above

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9131863A-57F4-476F-9B70-3071770C5955.jpeg
Here are the clowns before the died 64DD4B65-06E9-4E8D-A082-654999F01B29.jpeg

That sure looks like Brook to me. I don't run into it much anymore, once I stopped importing wild clownfish. Here is an excerpt from my upcoming disease book, but again, I don't have a lot of recent experience with this:

Brooklynellosis

Cause
Brooklynellosis is caused by a ciliated protozoan, Brooklynella hostilis. It commonly affects wild-caught clownfish, thus its common name “clownfish disease.” Entire shipments of wild-caught clownfish have been lost to this infection. It is also seen commonly in angelfish and anthias and sometimes in butterflyfish and tangs.

Symptoms
Aquarists often miss the early symptoms of this malady in their fish, so by the time it’s identified, it’s often too late to save the specimen. The first signs of this disease may be limited to slightly folded fins combined with lethargy. Soon, skin mucus production increases, as does the fish’s breathing rate. The fish will then lose color, stop feeding, and hang in one location, with death following in a matter of hours.

Uronema often has similar symptoms, but a reddish underlying lesion is usually associated with that disease. Bacterial infections can produce similarly cloudy skin, but they typically do not result in rapid breathing. End-stage Cryptocaryon can sometimes be mistaken for Brooklynellosis, as well. Positive identification requires microscopic examination of a skin scraping. Look for medium-sized, barely motile protozoans that are ventrally flattened with a slightly domed dorsal side and have cilia mostly at one end.

Treatment
Few treatments are effective against Brooklynellosis, although two options include a 14-day chloroquine treatment at 15 mg/l or daily formalin dips at 150-167 ppm for 45 minutes with good aeration. Reducing the specific gravity of the treatment tank may assist the fish in balancing the electrolytes lost due to skin and gill damage. A target specific gravity of 1.018 should be maintained during treatment.

Prevention
Acquiring captive-raised clownfish as opposed to wild-caught ones is a good way to help prevent outbreaks of this disease. Also, Brooklynellosis is much easier to manage in a quarantine aquarium than in your main display tank.

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Smcevoy

Smcevoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I removed copper and added Metroplex with some vitamins to tank. I did lose my spotted Kole tang unfortunately yesterday morning but the rest all look great. Thank you guys for the help

Back