Please help identify white dot on Regal Angel tail fin ( caudal fin )

fc2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New regal angelfish in QT, copper 2.35 PPM. start eating pallets slowly. use to have one large white dot on tail fin close to the body. now more white dot coming out. freshwater dip 5 minutes, no visible thing in water bucket. Please help identify and recommend treatment. Thanks!

RAtail1.jpg RAtail2.jpg RAtail3.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could be Cryptokaryon (CI) - if you have him/her in copper - leave it there - don't do more dips, etc. It almost looks like part of the fin could be a bacterial thing starting. I would continue your current plan with copper - it could be lymphocytes - but doesn't seem that way to me. When did you get it? Any other fish? etc.
@Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New regal angelfish in QT, copper 2.35 PPM. start eating pallets slowly. use to have one large white dot on tail fin close to the body. now more white dot coming out. freshwater dip 5 minutes, no visible thing in water bucket. Please help identify and recommend treatment. Thanks!

RAtail1.jpg RAtail2.jpg RAtail3.jpg
This looks too large to be Cryptocaryon/marine ich
LYmphocystis is more often seen on fin edges
Broken fin rays cause spots like this, but never this many at once.
Myxosporidian xenomas are a possibility.
Can you tell, are the spots only on the tail fin or do they extend into the body also?

Jay

OP
OP
F

fc2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, what really bothers me is it get more spot in copper, maybe I should put the fish in Methylene Blue or other method. The fish did pick the pellets from QT tank bottom, which makes me very happy.
I guess they extend into the body also, it's hard to see. here is a better picture

Attachments

• tailspots.JPG
    tailspots.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 30

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, what really bothers me is it get more spot in copper, maybe I should put the fish in Methylene Blue or other method. The fish did pick the pellets from QT tank bottom, which makes me very happy.
I guess they extend into the body also, it's hard to see. here is a better picture
I don’t think methylene blue will help with this.
What brand of copper are you using?
Jay

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my experience with my regal angelfish. When I put in copper he began getting lympho which i believe this looks like it. Also developed a big lympho under chin. Not necessarily suggesting but I just stopped copper and observed for another 30 days. Btw the lympho never went away until I put in display tank which then healed in about a week

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try treating it for fin rot. I recently got a regal in with the same exact issue. The tail had white spots n lower fins were rotted away. He eventually died.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help, give advise on treatment. Thanks! @Jay Hemdal @Humblefish

Is the fish still feeding?

The dorsal fin rot is indeed serious, since it is getting so much worse in two days. The trouble is, there is no way to know exactly what is causing this from just visual symptoms. Presuming the fish hasn't been caught/tangled up in a net recently, and isn't in with any other fish that may have been bothering it, then a secondary bacterial infection would be the next diagnosis.

Do you have access to any gram negative broad spectrum antibiotics? Choices would include; Neoplex, Kanaplex, Furan-2, or even Maracyn 2. You would need to get this started today - antibiotics take up to three days to start to work, and at the rate the infection is increasing, the fish may not have that long.

At this point - you need to ignore the caudal fin spots and the Lymphocystis that the fish has. A trickier question is: do you do a water change to reduce the copper and THEN dose with antibiotics, or just dose the antibiotics on top of the copper? Mixing medications is risky, but so is leaving the fish open to protozoan diseases. This is going to be a call on your part.....

Jay

OP
OP
F

fc2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kindly reply. Fish still eating pellets occasionally. LFS give me some Bactershield, put 10 gallon new water with it, doesn't work, so I put the fish back to 10 gallon QT with new water and low copper temporary before find treatment. will go get Neoplex or Kanaplex when store open today. will prepare a QT tank and new water for it.

OP
OP
F

fc2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS fish master think it's some kind worm eating the fish. Tried fresh mixed saltwater with PraziPro and Metronidazole for two days, not very effective, couldn't control it, today it looks worse.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I’ve never seen a worm infection do that. It is certainly getting worse. Common wisdom would say that it is a bacterial infection of some sort….so just circling back to my earlier suggestion of using an antibiotic…..
Jay

OP
OP
F

fc2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, The Med form LFS not very helpful, I ordered Neoplex online, should receive it tomorrow, will make a QT ready for that.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back