OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAIT ONE MINUTE. are you telling me you live in NYC and use tap...green light me please I cant stand buying water anymore!!
No i live in Northern Va lol.

The store the disease was from was new store in northern va. they opened during the pandemic in 2020 around Feb or so. I dont wanna give out the full name as i am friends with the owner and i dont like shttng on people. But i will give that hint out. Im sure people can figure it out.

Worst part is i told the owner what i did to solve the issue and he refuses to medicate his tanks or even take the coral out and put into a qt with antibiotics. Seems sketchy to me. He wants me to keep it hush hush.. but honestly.. thats dishonest and im starting to realize all he sees is dollar signs and not the health of peoples tanks or the animals. It took him a year to finally even medicate his tanks with velvet and ich infested fish.

I guess since i am replying to the thread again.. I will post another update. I still see no signs of the illness anymore. I replaced the mini colony of green trumpets that i lost. And my bubble coral is healing. Its recovering fast too.

I know it looks horrible in this picture but remember it nearly all died. 2-3 weeks ago it was all skeleton. Now look at how wuickly its starting to regrow.

Same with my other bubble in the other pic. Notice how big it is now. Its fully recovered. My orange fungia looks way better too. Dame with my lemon lime or spicey lemin favia. Its regrowing and infection 100% stopped.

The doxycycline nuke of my tank really did work great

And i see life on my dead favia. I guess a little survived and its already regrowing on the old skeleton.

I got a new coral too a huge elegance coral. But all new corals i get from now on are going into a 20g qt for 5-6 days with antibiotics. I dont trust not getting bacterial infections anymore.

20210201_144810.jpg 20210201_200941.jpg 20210201_201308.jpg 20210201_201321.jpg 20210201_201452.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stray voltage?
Na if you read the thread. Youll see i found out it was a bacterial infection only targetting lps. Most people blamed me using tap water but i discovered it was an infection. An infection i got from a locsl fish store which is going through the same thing i am

Nuking my main tank in antibiotics doxycycline for 6-7 days solved the problem

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many posts could find one where you double/triple checked Po4. I had a flourishing SPS dominant reef, 5 years+ everything was perfect and because growth was so good I decided to put some more rock in the tank. I went with dry purple liferock (caribsea shapes and ledges) and then things started going south. Lost 2 favias that had been in my possession since 2008, my SPS colonies were fading fast. I didn't bother to check po4 but found out that adding new dry rock sucked up available po4 very quick...even though I was showing a trace via hanna 0.01-0.02 and some folks said that wasn't the issue I decided to follow others who said to dose po4. It fixed everything and my tank couldn't look better today...

I was shocked at how much a few rocks sucked up that po4 and offset the balance to the point of death. It took me 7 months for it to stop absorbing po4 before I could stop dosing and we are talking maybe 15-20 lbs of rock in a 450g system.

*Edit... just read it was bacterial. Did you lose any corals using the antibiotics?

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many posts could find one where you double/triple checked Po4. I had a flourishing SPS dominant reef, 5 years+ everything was perfect and because growth was so good I decided to put some more rock in the tank. I went with dry purple liferock (caribsea shapes and ledges) and then things started going south. Lost 2 favias that had been in my possession since 2008, my SPS colonies were fading fast. I didn't bother to check po4 but found out that adding new dry rock sucked up available po4 very quick...even though I was showing a trace via hanna 0.01-0.02 and some folks said that wasn't the issue I decided to follow others who said to dose po4. It fixed everything and my tank couldn't look better today...

I was shocked at how much a few rocks sucked up that po4 and offset the balance to the point of death. It took me 7 months for it to stop absorbing po4 before I could stop dosing and we are talking maybe 15-20 lbs of rock in a 450g system.

*Edit... just read it was bacterial. Did you lose any corals using the antibiotics?
None. It did make the water pink then progressivly darker each day.. by day 5-7 the water was very very dark and corals were reaching for light. So i wouldnt recomend anymore thsn 5-7 days. Otherwise you might hurt corals from lack of light. Thats why i stopped after day 7. Luckily it stopped my infection and didnt kill anything

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back