Please help me set up my 300 gallon reef tank

Danny N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had hired a local small business to build me a 300 gallon tank. Well, to make a long story short, said local small business took my money and ran. Right now I have the tank with 2 ghost overflows sitting on the stand which will be wrapped in oak soon. I would like this tank to eventually evolve into a full blown reef, so whatever I purchase, I would like it to be adaptable. Tank is 86" X 30" X24" tall. looking for recommendations on sump, skimmer, and return pump. I have 2 AI Hydra 52 HD's from a previous tank and assume I need to add 1 more. I might add that I am not a very handy person, so building my own sump really isn't something I'm looking to get into. I don't particularly enjoy water changes, but understand they are necessary, but would like to add some reactors eventually to help. I have had a 120 gallon in the past, so I'm not entirely new to the hobby, but I am also looking to avoid the mistakes I made setting that one up.
Thank you

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have loved my Synergy Reef sump and their customer service was impeccable. Might want to give them a look!

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had hired a local small business to build me a 300 gallon tank. Well, to make a long story short, said local small business took my money and ran. Right now I have the tank with 2 ghost overflows sitting on the stand which will be wrapped in oak soon. I would like this tank to eventually evolve into a full blown reef, so whatever I purchase, I would like it to be adaptable. Tank is 86" X 30" X24" tall. looking for recommendations on sump, skimmer, and return pump. I have 2 AI Hydra 52 HD's from a previous tank and assume I need to add 1 more. I might add that I am not a very handy person, so building my own sump really isn't something I'm looking to get into. I don't particularly enjoy water changes, but understand they are necessary, but would like to add some reactors eventually to help. I have had a 120 gallon in the past, so I'm not entirely new to the hobby, but I am also looking to avoid the mistakes I made setting that one up.
Thank you
Sumps are really easy to build if your not handy buy a tank from petco on the 1$ per gallon sale go to a local glass shop get some glass cut to fit the tank and measure your equipment then silicon the glass baffles in place. Look on YouTube how to build a sump and there's videos that will walk ya through it. If that is still a bit intimidating look at some online and buy one that meets your water volume needs and has the compartments that you will need to accommodate your equipment. As far as skimmers I think everyone will have an opinion on what's best my opinion buy what you can afford and one that is sized 25-50% larger than your tank volume

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
Sumps are really easy to build if your not handy buy a tank from petco on the 1$ per gallon sale go to a local glass shop get some glass cut to fit the tank and measure your equipment then silicon the glass baffles in place. Look on YouTube how to build a sump and there's videos that will walk ya through it. If that is still a bit intimidating look at some online and buy one that meets your water volume needs and has the compartments that you will need to accommodate your equipment. As far as skimmers I think everyone will have an opinion on what's best my opinion buy what you can afford and one that is sized 25-50% larger than your tank volume

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can fashion a sump from a glass tank. Generally, one wants the biggest sump possible because you will probably use the space faster than you think. The problem I see is that most cabinets have at most about 24" of head space and most of the 6' glass aquariums are just too tall. Remember you need enough space above the sump to remove equipment like taking off your protein skimmers cup, emptying it and cleaning it. If you are not placing it under the sump, then the sky is the limit.

I have a 300 gallon. I use a super Reef octopus 500 and it works well. It is a bit oversized for the system which is good. I use 2 seven inch filter socks.

For water changes, I have a 44 gallon Brute trash can for rodi water. I use a 44 gallon can to mix salt water. For water changes, I turn off the pumps, siphon 42 gallons out into a trash can. It is on casters. I rollover the salt water can and pump in the salt water. I roll the old salt water can to the sink. I pump it empty. I roll the salt water can to the rodi storage can and pump over the rodi. I have a powerhead in there for mixing. I dump in the salt mix and I set my rodi system on to refill my rodi can. I can, if necessary, do a water change per day. It works pretty well. If I had it to do over, I would use 55 gallon Brute trash cans. Of course, what is best is a dedicated fish room near the display tank with sump, skimmer, quarantine tank, refugium, rodi water and salt water. Maybe someday... one can dream.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back