Please help me to solve corals dying mystery.

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop useing any type of GFO or other similar media. Feed the fish . There poop feeds the coral .
btw the coraline algae is awesome. And crank those t5 s up it’s the LEDs that burn things.

Yes sir, I'll take out the media immediately and will increase the intensity gradually.

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fixture is nice but he's running it at 55% with the light suspended 12 inches off the surface and almost 28 inches from the bottom, if his cm measurements are correct. That's not enough light especially for that clam on the bottom.

I'd swap one of the blue T5s out for a white like a 10K maybe and increase the intensity up to 90% and maybe even lower it some.

That being said most of your problem is probably lack of nutrients.

Noted with thanks, I'll increase the intesity. Also will increase the fish too. I know for sure that fish are few in my tank and I am adding 1-2 every now and then.

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m having the same issue but only with LPS, the cause is still a mystery to me.

However all my sps were browned out until I increased flow and brought nitrates between 5-10. That seemed to get them to color up how they should. You can buy bottled NO3 to aid in doing so

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
increase feeding until testing nitrates phosphates until they are detectable. you do not want them at zero unless you and your system are super advanced IMO (there is less margin for error)

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of what you feed and how much at this time, you said your NO3 is bottomed out. Therefore, you can add more fish, add varied feedings, pull GFO, adjust water changes accordingly, etc. Obviously something needs to change.

As for parasites, can you provide close up pics of affected corals? Not aware of any particular parasite that eats all corals - and I am no expert. There are fish and other creatures that do eat corals. A stocking list of fish and inverts as well as pics would be helpful

Thanks to you all, as most advised to stop using GFO and increase NO3. I'll increase the fish, will stop GFO and increase light intensity.

As for fish that might eat corals, rest assure as all are reef safe except the flame angel as he might nip some sotfties ( the one I have behave).

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having the same issue but only with LPS, the cause is still a mystery to me.

However all my sps were browned out until I increased flow and brought nitrates between 5-10. That seemed to get them to color up how they should. You can buy bottled NO3 to aid in doing so
Yup, high No3 will turn the corals to brown color.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting great advise, but I'd be wary of implementing it all at once. Maybe try one suggestion you feel is promising, give it a month or two, then try the next?

The right side of your tank looks shaded to me.

If they grow when you put them in but then decline, to me, that suggests your lights are ok, flow is adequate.
Water chemistry has to at least be in the ballpark, so probably not a trace element issue.
Just thinking along with you and the group, I think you had a good idea when you considered parasites.
I also generally agree w the group consensus that feeding more might help.

Calcification is not an issue. You could pull out your corals, drop in dry rock, and make a living farming coraline covered live rock!

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did so far is I brought the intensity to 75% (it was 60% not 55%). I have attached my setup.

Took out GFO media. And dose fish poop and hen turned the skimmer off.

20191024_212143.jpg 20191024_210042.jpg 20191024_210604.jpg 15719380532076575391314440640742.jpg

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting great advise, but I'd be wary of implementing it all at once. Maybe try one suggestion you feel is promising, give it a month or two, then try the next?

The right side of your tank looks shaded to me.

If they grow when you put them in but then decline, to me, that suggests your lights are ok, flow is adequate.
Water chemistry has to at least be in the ballpark, so probably not a trace element issue.
Just thinking along with you and the group, I think you had a good idea when you considered parasites.
I also generally agree w the group consensus that feeding more might help.

Calcification is not an issue. You could pull out your corals, drop in dry rock, and make a living farming coraline covered live rock!

I think all suggestions are safe to implement immediately specially there is no major side effect except algae which I'll be monitoring.

The frags in the right side did okay when I added them. Also note that I had to change places till I see the coral happy. So I think light and the flow are okay.

I did not understand the calcification part. Would please explain it again to me!!

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all suggestions are safe to implement immediately specially there is no major side effect except algae which I'll be monitoring.

The frags in the right side did okay when I added them. Also note that I had to change places till I see the coral happy. So I think light and the flow are okay.

I did not understand the calcification part. Would please explain it again to me!!
I'm just complimenting you on your coraline algae. It calcifies and grows in much the same way as coral skeletons. When you figure out what's holding you back, looks like you've got a good chance of seeing nice coral growth.

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just complimenting you on your coraline algae. It calcifies and grows in much the same way as coral skeletons. When you figure out what's holding you back, looks like you've got a good chance of seeing nice coral growth.

Thanks man, I hope it is just a nutrition issue only.

I will see the results of what I did today on the corals I have now and then I'll act accordingly.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ali. You've got lots of good advice here so far, and your growing coraline like a king, so don't be discouraged. Sometimes things happen for unknown reasons and then it suddenly reverses with no explanation.

The first thing I do when having any major issues is sit and look in detail at my system for a few min. Make sure everything is working how I expect it to, don't rush into making any adjustments until your sure it's required.

Test my RODI water, test my newly made SW, sometimes you can get a bad batch of salt, although your readings are not that bad at all. Apart from having zero NO3, and for me this is where I would start.

Anytime you add anything to the aquarium it's always nice to remember what changes that will make to the chemistry and consider what k ock on effect that could have on the systems stability. Remember in this hobby we don't keep fish or corals. We keep water. As long as you can get that fine balance correct youll have a thriving reef.

your tank looks well established so good luck and I'm. Sure things will pick up.

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ali. You've got lots of good advice here so far, and your growing coraline like a king, so don't be discouraged. Sometimes things happen for unknown reasons and then it suddenly reverses with no explanation.

The first thing I do when having any major issues is sit and look in detail at my system for a few min. Make sure everything is working how I expect it to, don't rush into making any adjustments until your sure it's required.

Test my RODI water, test my newly made SW, sometimes you can get a bad batch of salt, although your readings are not that bad at all. Apart from having zero NO3, and for me this is where I would start.

Anytime you add anything to the aquarium it's always nice to remember what changes that will make to the chemistry and consider what k ock on effect that could have on the systems stability. Remember in this hobby we don't keep fish or corals. We keep water. As long as you can get that fine balance correct youll have a thriving reef.

your tank looks well established so good luck and I'm. Sure things will pick up.

Thanks man for your encouraging comments. I have good news. I saw fast recovery for some almost died corals to become nice coloured ones. This happened just by applying all the suggestions here thanks to all.

I'll post the pictures soon.

I appreciate all the support.
Ali

Back