Please help me with my lion fish

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think lowering it to maybe 1.23 would help or even lower than that and bring it up slowly
No, I wouldn’t adjust the salinity. I don’t see how it would help at the moment. If he had flukes, and was breathing normally or healthier, perhaps acclimating to a quarantine tank with slightly lower SG could help, but I wouldn’t change it in your 55

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get ammonia taken care of where he is, yes you can do multiple small water changes daily, just make sure sure you do not do huge changes at once. Has he eaten, if he eats I wouldn't worry so fast, if not, that's another story. Lions can be difficult to feed initially, but you do need to get him to eat'

That bolt forward could be flukes, normally you will have time to address this; in an advanced state you would see cloudy eyes and he would probably be at the surface maybe even taking air from the surface. this would be more dire. His breathing could also point to this, and a treatment of prazi pro would be prescribed. If he doesn't eat then transferring to a tank where you can treat with general cure would be the best course of action. Make sure to balance the sg between the tanks.

Lions also shed their outer layer, many times when going in a new tank due to chemistry changes, and even stress. This is also accompanied by that bolting movement. This can be of no concern or could be him fighting a bacterial/parasitic attack. The shedding process is most times non threatening.
Here’s a video of him sorry about the baby music in the back ground I have a 10 month old lol
And no he haven’t eaten I do have ghost shrimp in the tank :(

Attachments

• IMG_0429.MOV
    27 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I wouldn’t adjust the salinity. I don’t see how it would help at the moment. If he had flukes, and was breathing normally or healthier, perhaps acclimating to a quarantine tank with slightly lower SG could help, but I wouldn’t change it in your 55
Okay :( I do have a qt tank but it’s currently recycling

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend 10% water changes, twice a day. That’s excessive, and most likely removing a lot of the nitrifying bacteria you need to breakdown the ammonia

Yes, I agree, 20% daily is excessive. But, It shouldn't impact the size of the nitrifying bacteria colony.

As I understand it, little if any nitrifying bacteria reside in the water column. The substrate and live rock play host to them.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay :( I do have a qt tank but it’s currently recycling

Do not put him in an uncycled qt, the biggest qt mistake ever. Him not eating with live ghosties in the tank is concerning. I treat all my lions with general cure within 24 hrs if not eating. General cure contains praziquantel and metronidazole which will treat for the broadest range of parasites, which is almost always the cause of not eating. Praziquantel will treat for flukes which could be the cause of the bolting action. General cure is not reef safe.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

- 55 gallon tank. - I thought this might be too small for a lion fish, but searches indicate otherwise.

- 2 days old - Any chance it may have carried in disease?

- Presence of ammonia. This is a concern. And as already been mentioned, it may actually be higher.

I find Red Sea to one of the more accurate hobbyist level tests.​

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not put him in an uncycled qt, the biggest qt mistake ever. Him not eating with live ghosties in the tank is concerning. I treat all my lions with general cure within 24 hrs if not eating. General cure contains praziquantel and metronidazole which will treat for the broadest range of parasites, which is almost always the cause of not eating. Praziquantel will treat for flukes which could be the cause of the bolting action. General cure is not reef safe.
Oh no I wouldn’t do that just sad it’s not done yet could I use para cleanse or maracyn instead of general cure and praziquantel

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

- 55 gallon tank. - I thought this might be too small for a lion fish, but searches indicate otherwise.

- 2 days old - Any chance it may have carried in disease?

- Presence of ammonia. This is a concern. And as already been mentioned, it may actually be higher.

I find Red Sea to one of the more accurate hobbyist level tests.​
I use Red Sea just did a water change going to test again

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think I should use para cleanse and maracyn and treat The Whole tank I have anenomes and some corals

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detectable ammonia with a decent hobby test kit is toxic. Trash the API Ammonia kit and add Prime to your tank as suggested several times already, to remove the ammonia.
Nitrite at much higher levels and be a problem. Nitrates are not a problem even at pretty high levels.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no I wouldn’t do that just sad it’s not done yet could I use para cleanse or maracyn instead of general cure and praziquantel

Yes, 1st,1st,1st; eliminate ammonia. Lions are very sensitive to many meds, the only ones I recommend is praziquantel and metronidazole unless life or death and there's an infection that needs an antibiotic. Prazi pro is reef safe and would be the only thing I would recommend, this could address the appetite and bolting issue, biut most times the internal parasites needs to be addressed by metronidazole. Fritz paracleanse appears to be the same as general cure, so in your qt this is what you use, I wouldn't think this is reef safe as it contains metronidazole.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay how long would you recommend how long can they go without eating
It's not really about "how long they can go without eating", they can go weeks. It's the fact that them not eating is a sign of an issue that needs to be addressed, and if you don't, it will be too late.

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 1st,1st,1st; eliminate ammonia. Lions are very sensitive to many meds, the only ones I recommend is praziquantel and metronidazole unless life or death and there's an infection that needs an antibiotic. Prazi pro is reef safe and would be the only thing I would recommend, this could address the appetite and bolting issue, biut most times the internal parasites needs to be addressed by metronidazole. Fritz paracleanse appears to be the same as general cure, so in your qt this is what you use, I wouldn't think this is reef safe as it contains metronidazole.
Okay I just did a water change ammonia is still 0.2 how long should I wait to move him to a qt so would you recommend me get prazi pro and treat that and see if he gets better

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back