Please help me with my lion fish

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lion fish doesn’t seem to be doing good at all it’s breathing heavy and slow just got him 2 days ago
55 gallon tank
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2
Ammonia0.2
Temp 79
SG 1.24
2 wave makers air stone filter
2 clown fish 2 anenomes in with him also
Api liquid test kit says nitrite 0.25 nitrat 20
Ammonia 0
Idk if Red Sea is reliable what should I do

Attachments

• IMG_0419.MOV
    4.8 MB
OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pick and he jolts sometimes too his tail is clammed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 74

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, any chance you can get some video under white light instead of blue? I agree, it is breathing slow, but really deeply, that isn't normal. I've seen this in tanks with ammonia issues. You say the ammonia is 0.2 ppm, what test kit are you using, how long has the aquarium been set up?

You say the lion is jolting - do you mean rushing forward? That can be a sign of parasites or gill issues.

Jay

p.s. - Hopefully, your clownfish are large, else I'd be concerned that the lion could eat them at some point...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2 days time, the only thing you could have done has to do with water quality and acclimation, .2 ammonia is concerning because it should always be 0. During acclimation, sg must be matched, if your tank sg is .002 or higher different, there's needs to be an extended acclimation to bring this up before introduction. Much to common knowledge you must equalize sg and ph, going to a lower sg in your tank is of no consequence. You can't do anythiong about the acclimation, but the ammonia needs to be zero.

Things that go wrong with lions that is of no fault of yours. If what you are describing is like a seizure, being caught with cyanide is a likely cause, and there is nothing you can do, and he likely won't make it. If his color fades during this episode then it is more likely that it was cyanide. If he had been kept in a copper system or exposed to meds like copper or antibiotics, the stress of the move could trigger an internal organ hemorrhage, which again there is nothing you can do, and he likely won't make it. Internal parasites usually don't show this way unless in a very advanced stage, at which point you would almost certainly see white stringy poo hanging, and he would usually have a sunken belly.

I can't see the vid.

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, any chance you can get some video under white light instead of blue? I agree, it is breathing slow, but really deeply, that isn't normal. I've seen this in tanks with ammonia issues. You say the ammonia is 0.2 ppm, what test kit are you using, how long has the aquarium been set up?

You say the lion is jolting - do you mean rushing forward? That can be a sign of parasites or gill issues.

Jay

p.s. - Hopefully, your clownfish are large, else I'd be concerned that the lion could eat them at some point...
I am going to move him when my other tank is cycled yes it’s strange he like jolts forward super fast I am using Red Sea but I don’t feel like the reading is super reliable

Attachments

• 62777150271__57C92901-DC9E-4D79-AF1E-F6B3B75D1F82.MOV
    1.4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to move him when my other tank is cycled yes it’s strange he like jolts forward super fast I am using Red Sea but I don’t feel like the reading is super reliable

Thanks - that helps, I can now see the fish is pale as well. I'm just worried that you have an ammonia issue, and that you are reading 0.2, but it could be higher. I see now that you ran two tests: one was zero ammonia and the other was 0.2. Then, for nitrite, one was zero and the other was 0.25. Nitrite isn't toxic to marine fish, but its presence can indicate issues with the tank cycling.

How do the clownfish look? Are they feeding well and holding their fins extended?

Jay

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown fish look great and so do the anemones the clown fish have been eating fine I am worried with what I should do what would you recommend I have been doing 10% water changes daily 2 times a day

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2 days time, the only thing you could have done has to do with water quality and acclimation, .2 ammonia is concerning because it should always be 0. During acclimation, sg must be matched, if your tank sg is .002 or higher different, there's needs to be an extended acclimation to bring this up before introduction. Much to common knowledge you must equalize sg and ph, going to a lower sg in your tank is of no consequence. You can't do anythiong about the acclimation, but the ammonia needs to be zero.

Things that go wrong with lions that is of no fault of yours. If what you are describing is like a seizure, being caught with cyanide is a likely cause, and there is nothing you can do, and he likely won't make it. If his color fades during this episode then it is more likely that it was cyanide. If he had been kept in a copper system or exposed to meds like copper or antibiotics, the stress of the move could trigger an internal organ hemorrhage, which again there is nothing you can do, and he likely won't make it. Internal parasites usually don't show this way unless in a very advanced stage, at which point you would almost certainly see white stringy poo hanging, and he would usually have a sunken belly.

I can't see the vid.
I have never had meds in this tank what is Cyainde is there anything I could do to help I have been doing 10% water changes 2 times a day

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown was doing that a while back. She was laying on her side, occasionally trying to swim, then sinking, all the while gasping. Although my test kit read 0.25ppm for ammonia, my fish was telling me otherwise. I added some prime to help detox the ammonia, and she was better by the next morning! That’s my fault for using API though.

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2 days time, the only thing you could have done has to do with water quality and acclimation, .2 ammonia is concerning because it should always be 0. During acclimation, sg must be matched, if your tank sg is .002 or higher different, there's needs to be an extended
acclimation to bring this up before introduction. Much to common knowledge you must equalize sg and ph, going to a lower sg in your tank is of no consequence. You can't do anythiong about the acclimation, but the ammonia needs to be zero.

I can't see the vid.
I am sorry I don’t know why the video isn’t showing up my phone can’t pull it up either I am sorry about that but I can’t believe they are caught with cyiande I hope he doesn’t die someone said he did look faded :( I will do more water changes i will do 3 10% each day maybe that will help thanks you guys for your replies and advice

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown was doing that a while back. She was laying on her side, occasionally trying to swim, then sinking, all the while gasping. Although my test kit read 0.25ppm for ammonia, my fish was telling me otherwise. I added some prime to help detox the ammonia, and she was better by the next morning! That’s my fault for using API though.
What do you use now because I feel like Red Sea isn’t accurate for me

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had meds in this tank what is Cyainde is there anything I could do to help I have been doing 10% water changes 2 times a day
I wouldn’t recommend 10% water changes, twice a day. That’s excessive, and most likely removing a lot of the nitrifying bacteria you need to breakdown the ammonia

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend 10% water changes, twice a day. That’s excessive, and most likely removing a lot of the nitrifying bacteria you need to breakdown the ammonia
What would you recommend I just feel like the nitrite and ammonia get high because my api and Red Sea have 2 different results

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend I just feel like the nitrite and ammonia get high because my api and Red Sea have 2 different results
That’s part of the cycle. Removing the water (especially 20% daily) is actually making the problem worse in my opinion. I think your best bet, assuming it is an ammonia issue, would be Prime. It helps break down ammonia and nitrite, and is usually a good temporary solution. In the mean time, I’d cut down on water changes and let the bacteria grow. This has to happen eventually. Now I am only offering a suggestion based off of my personal experiences.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you are doing 20% water changes daily, and your nitrates are at 20ppm, you might be over feeding. How much live rock do you have? Are you running a sump or skimmer?

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't see the vid.
I do have another tank the ammonia in it is 0 but the nitrite is 1 and nitrate is 40 would be be better in there

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you are doing 20% water changes daily, and your nitrates are at 20ppm, you might be over feeding. How much live rock do you have? Are you running a sump or skimmer?
I think 40 lbs and no I don’t have a skimmer or sub just the penguin filter I am going to invest in a skimmer soon I do have another tank the problem is nitrite is at 1 and nitrate is a 40 there is 0 ammonia in the other one should I put him in the other one or leave him

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back