PLEASE HELP. Not sure what the cause?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been QTing fish fro my display. They are currently in copper at 2.5ppm. Was dosing Metro and kanaplex every 48 hours alternating General Cur on the 6 the day to address flukes. They have been in Qt for approx 2.5 weeks with treatments of GC. All has been good but when I was dosing Metro/kanapkex the day before last I was distracted and accidentally doses an extra 1.5 spoons in my 20 gallon. I immediately did a 60% water change but both my tang and angel are aren't doing so well. My only confusion is the symptoms they are showing. Darting, twitching, slight heavy breathing, lack of energy.

The are all eating as well. I can see the tang reducing his appetite though. Coloration is good for the most part.

Plenty of aeration, 2 extra air stones and two over side HOB filters.

I tested all parameters and nothing alarming on that front.

Here is a video

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've been QTing fish fro my display. They are currently in copper at 2.5ppm. Was dosing Metro and kanaplex every 48 hours alternating General Cur on the 6 the day to address flukes. They have been in Qt for approx 2.5 weeks with treatments of GC. All has been good but when I was dosing Metro/kanapkex the day before last I was distracted and accidentally doses an extra 1.5 spoons in my 20 gallon. I immediately did a 60% water change but both my tang and angel are aren't doing so well. My only confusion is the symptoms they are showing. Darting, twitching, slight heavy breathing, lack of energy.

The are all eating as well. I can see the tang reducing his appetite though. Coloration is good for the most part.

Here is a video

I am not keen on mixing meds especially with Kanaplex (bacterial remedy) with high level copper and then general cure which contains various compounds.
Darting and twitching may be flukes but at this time, increase aeration with air stone and add carbo. Too many meds in an enclosed system,

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not keen on mixing meds especially with Kanaplex (bacterial remedy) with high level copper and then general cure which contains various compounds.
Darting and twitching may be flukes but at this time, increase aeration with air stone and add carbo. Too many meds in an enclosed system,
I hear you but I keep the surface very well pirated and 40% water changes every other day and I've done this many times with all my QT's. Never had an issue.

It also wasn't an issue until I accidentally overdosed. My concern is more about the sysmtoms, they don't seem like its because of the medications, more strange.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess main questions is would over dosing the metro warrant this type of response or is it another issue?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a video

Something is really irritating that angel - the darting and fin flicking are signs of that. Metronidazole has a wide treatment range: 20 to 95mg/gallon. Any idea as to what dose you hit?

Jay

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is really irritating that angel - the darting and fin flicking are signs of that. Metronidazole has a wide treatment range: 20 to 95mg/gallon. Any idea as to what dose you hit?

Jay
It’s a 20 gallon QT. I was suppose to dose 2 level spoons. I ended up dosing 3.5 spoons of metro. Do you think it’s the over dose or parasitic?

again my copper power has been at 2.5 and every 48 hours I’ve been dosing kanaplex and metro plex and on the 6th day I dose GC to address possible flukes.

The real question is would the overdosing of metro warrant the fishes behavior?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 20 gallon QT. I was suppose to dose 2 level spoons. I ended up dosing 3.5 spoons of metro. Do you think it’s the over dose or parasitic?

again my copper power has been at 2.5 and every 48 hours I’ve been dosing kanaplex and metro plex and on the 6th day I dose GC to address possible flukes.

The real question is would the overdosing of metro warrant the fishes behavior?

Sorry - I don't know if metro causes that. I can't even tell if you overdosed it though - not knowing how much metro is in each spoonful. One thought though - General Cure has metronidazole in it. So if this was caused by the metro, the GC might make things worse.

Taking a step back: there is something irritating the fish - flukes commonly do that. However, the behavior coincided with the extra dose of metro. That implies something in the water, either a particle or a toxin that is irritating the fish so much. My normal process is to only treat fish with a single drug at a time. In this case, you are dosing three drugs at once. My thought is something is reacting to stress the fish.

However, we see a LOT of what is thought to be cause and effect, but really isn't. Did the fish show any of this behavior before dosing with metro? If so, it might be a "red herring" and flukes could be the root issue after all. If you had shown me the video without the backstory, I would have said it has flukes. Nothing you've treated with so far handles flukes. Have you given the fish a FW dip during the process? If so, that would have limited the flukes to some degree, and I could more easily rule those out.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back