PLEASE HELP! Odd worm like pest killing my toadstool!!

Tzarnold161

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this toadstool for about 3 months and has been doing great! It always had this thing at the base but it never affected it. Until now... It has been closed up and shriveled and leaning over for about 2 weeks now with no response. And just now noticing this thing has grown substantially. I can't find anything that looks like it and need advice on what it may be and how to save the coral!
Under blue lights it has blue/green dots on body? And about 1/2 inch long clear sweeper tentacles with white dots ends...
It is not that sensitive and will retract with severely agitated.
IMG_20200123_221220.jpg
IMG_20200123_221216.jpg
IMG_20200123_221210.jpg
IMG_20200123_221203.jpg
IMG_20200123_221156.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a ball anemone and a feather duster. Feather duster could possibly be a hydroids if it doesn’t shrink up right away with movement near it.

NISMO703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a ball anemone to me also. Maybe your toadstool is shedding? When my toadstool sheds it sulks and I blast it with a turkey baster to help remove some of the film.

OP
OP
T

Tzarnold161

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroids.
they sting and irritate coral.

turn off flow for 15 mn and cover it with aiptasia x
Thank you! I believe that is what it is. At least with a quick search. The only thing it seems to be mostly embeded in the coral. And is singular, and does not have the tube linking them. But will possibly try to treat with that.
Would that relatively small hydroid affect that lager sized coral though?

OP
OP
T

Tzarnold161

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looks like a ball/glass anenome if I'm looking at the right thing lol
Going back on my last reply. I searched ball annenome it looks even closer to it. And solves my question with the hydroids.
But still my question is could that be taking down the whole toadstool

OP
OP
T

Tzarnold161

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a ball anemone to me also. Maybe your toadstool is shedding? When my toadstool sheds it sulks and I blast it with a turkey baster to help remove some of the film.
I have tried blasting(which always has worked in the past) it's shed about 5 times already so I'm almost certain it is not a shed issue. As I have blasted several times and it's been closed and slowly sulking more over the past 2 weeks

OP
OP
T

Tzarnold161

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a variety of ball anemone. I’ve never had to kill them so close to a coral. Carefully placed kalkwasser paste maybe?
I have used reef clay/epoxy to cover and kill glass annenome? Would that work in the same way? And I'm not so much worried about covering it too much since it is way at the bottom on the tunk

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going back on my last reply. I searched ball annenome it looks even closer to it. And solves my question with the hydroids.
But still my question is could that be taking down the whole toadstool
That I would find hard to believe....

How steady are your parameters? And what do they look like?

OP
OP
T

Tzarnold161

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I would find hard to believe....

How steady are your parameters? And what do they look like?
My parameters should not have taken a swing. I will have to do tests tonight and see if something has taken a change. Saying that in terms because I have many lps and a few sps and none of that have had any change. If anything they are getting better then they have ever been

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back