Please help Palytoxin Poisoning, Me, Wife and Dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I moved my tank 10 ft across the room and towards the end of the night my wife helped me put the last couple corals from the bottom of the brute into the tank.

Mind you first time in 10 years of being together her hands have touched saltwater.(I think) Fast forward 8 hours later and I'm waking both of us up with a nasty cough,stuffy nose, and post nasal drip. I woke up with the chills and felt sick. Couple hours later my dog throws up and I noticed he is taking short shallow breaths.

I hadn't connected the dots until I texted my wife that the dog threw up and she said her chest hurt. After hearing that 5he light bulb went off and I turned off the skimmer, opened all the windows and removed a couple Buckets with a couple inches of water in the bottom from the move.

Question is how long should I expect this to last? should we leave the house? my wife is the paranoid type so I told her what it could be but told her unlikely. From the symptoms we are having I am 100% confident it is palytoxin poisoning. My wife and I have both have Covid twice and the second time was only 45 days ago so that's out as a possibility.

Is it a safe assumption that the exposure has already happened and we have to just ride it out? I'm assuming this is the case but would love to hear from people with first hand experience. I want to note that my breathing is better and the dog is looking a little better but still breathing fast slight weezing. My wife is in bed with the dog and she is burning up(fever) and whining like a toddler. My oxygen tested at 100 wife 98.

Please help!!!!!

Thank you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 1
OP
OP
HolySmoke

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HolySmoke

I've personally have had palytoxin in my system TWICE.

Both times were dealing with
pale green wild palyanthids (Not zoas!)

Both times I got symptoms within 6hrs.

Symptoms:

Deep painful headache
Pounding heart when lying down
Lack of appetite
Shortness of breath

Symptoms lasted about 3-4 days peaking at day 2

Never felt the need to seek the ER. Symptoms were manageable. But NEVER felt my life was in danger. It felt like a bad flu.

If you haven't felt symptoms within 12 hrs, then quit worrying.

HTH

Thank you because you described all my symptoms exactly and helped put my mind at ease a little. We both are above 130 BPM and have 101 fever. I feel like I have a terrible flu and it hurts when I take deep breaths. I just wanna be safer than sorry I should have went to the ER hours ago.

She WAS worse than me but when I went down near the tank I felt worse again. I think @CMMorhung hit the nail on the head. I hung one light yesterday and tonight I touched everything I touched yesterday, screw driver, square, 6 ft level, impact gun. DOH. I should have figured out what it was earlier but I did nothing to tick them off except I accidentally ripped a monster Sunkist bounce that was right next to them on the bottom glass. I think that set off the chemical warfare. I will keep you all posted thanks for the swift kick in the bu tt bc I wasn't being smart.

20210307_200131.jpg 20210307_175028.jpg

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you because you described all my symptoms exactly and helped put my mind at ease a little. We both are above 130 BPM and have 101 fever. I feel like I have a terrible flu and it hurts when I take deep breaths. I just wanna be safer than sorry I should have went to the ER hours ago.

She WAS worse than me but when I went down near the tank I felt worse again. I think @CMMorhung hit the nail on the head. I hung one light yesterday and tonight I touched everything I touched yesterday, screw driver, square, 6 ft level, impact gun. DOH. I should have figured out what it was earlier but I did nothing to tick them off except I accidentally ripped a monster Sunkist bounce that was right next to them on the bottom glass. I think that set off the chemical warfare. I will keep you all posted thanks for the swift kick in the bu tt bc I wasn't being smart.
Not a great end to a weekend but a Great decision and you are here with us. Now you have a story to tell family, workers and reefers. This toxin is no joke. Wear gloves, mask and any other protection listed in the future.

Upvote 1

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone. This thread really concerns me as I have my nano reef tank in my 3 years old room themed with Nemo. He ocasiónally gets his hand in the water for the clown fish to nib at him. He fish knows him which is kind of cute. I have invested a lot in the thank as I fell in love with reefing .

it seems that paleotoxin is from handling the Zoas out of the water. Is the fish tank poisonous for having zoas ?

Attachments

• 46E35C37-5E25-431C-B680-215BB0B27609.jpeg
    46E35C37-5E25-431C-B680-215BB0B27609.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 107
  • A6B79A5F-73BA-4D6B-A174-B1A3910167D6.jpeg
    A6B79A5F-73BA-4D6B-A174-B1A3910167D6.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry but this is terrible advice. The man and his wife are experiencing symptoms in relation to a deadly poison and you are basically telling him to just deal with it.

OP, you did the right thing going to the ER for the safety of you and your family
Please point out where I authored advice. Quit drawing out an inference

I only shared from my personal experiences

Upvote 0

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praying for you, your wife and doggie to be safe. Please let us know how are you doing and if you need anything. We are here to help

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone. This thread really concerns me as I have my nano reef tank in my 3 years old room themed with Nemo. He ocasiónally gets his hand in the water for the clown fish to nib at him. He fish knows him which is kind of cute. I have invested a lot in the thank as I fell in love with reefing .

it seems that paleotoxin is from handling the Zoas out of the water. Is the fish tank poisonous for having zoas ?

Dangerous Palys and Zoas are rare. However, the reefing community doesn't have a list of which ones are so its best to handle all of them with care.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
HolySmoke

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the well wishes. If you are reading this please reread @vetteguy53081 posts in this thread over and over.

I just wanna be clear that this can happen to anyone. I am not a new reefer been keeping SPS/zoas palys for about 11 years but this was a learning experience and a reminder to not get complacent over handling these potentially deadly animal. #2 most powerful poison in the world BTW.

Upvote 0

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dangerous Palys and Zoas are rare. However, the reefing community doesn't have a list of which ones are so its best to handle all of them with care.

From personal experience I've handled most of my Palys and Zoas unsafely (prior to being aware of these issues) and never had an issue. So I consider the ones I have relatively safe.

Upvote 0

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im surprised no ones asked this yet

Any chance you know all of the types of zoas/palys you have so that those with them can exercise more caution?

Upvote 0

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the well wishes. If you are reading this please reread @vetteguy53081 posts in this thread over and over.

I just wanna be clear that this can happen to anyone. I am not a new reefer been keeping SPS/zoas palys for about 11 years but this was a learning experience and a reminder to not get complacent over handling these potentially deadly animal. #2 most powerful poison in the world BTW.
When you and your family are all well, please kindly post a picture of your zoas. We might start a thread of the ones that have caused poisoning.

speedy recovery

Upvote 0

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth I handled my zoas without any gloves as I was unaware of palytoxin .. smh.. I even hit one polyp while dipping and I got some liquid in my bare hands. It looked like iodine from the dip. Thankfully No symptoms at all.
Nature is unpredictable.

Upvote 0

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this paly toxin hype is going to get palys ban in the hobby

better be careful
I believe that everyone that walks into a reef store should be warned. I love these corals but for safety I would have gotten something else.

now I am stuck with a giant order from a sale that I cannot cancel .. :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back