Please help to identify

JMarble0407

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang developed these white patches on its side. It also had some on its fins which is why there is fin loss. There is a little red there as well. I put it in a qt and dosed with kanaplex. It seemed to help reduce but then it is still there. My parameters are perfect, no other fish showing any symptoms. This tang is actually showing no symptoms as well. I feed a mix between pellet and sea veggies. I also use Selcon. Please help me out with this one. Thanks
PXL_20210621_202652540.jpg
PXL_20210621_202659946.jpg

OP
OP
J

JMarble0407

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang has always looked different (arch in back, etc) as I purchased it from Petco. It grazes all day and eats nori 2x a day. I soak the nori in Selcon. I don't think lack of eating or proper diet is the issue. I need to solve the white patch issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I replied at other thread. This appears as a gram negative bacterial infection. Most Infections can be caused by either Gram‐positive or Gram-negative bacteria. Gram-negative infections are typically more viral and common in marine fish.
Bacterial infections are often secondary to a preexisting parasitic or worm infestation or even poor water quality, open wounds and nutritional deficiency which lowers the natural immune system.
Symptoms may include:
-Any redness or open sores/wounds on a fish and should be viewed as suspicious
- white film or fungus looking growth can denote a bacterial infection
- Frayed fins / fin & tail rot
- Cloudy eyes

Sometimes all the vitamins, proper nutrition and clean water are just not enough. For the skin, try a freshwater dip follwed by a one hour ruby rally pro bath. Antibiotic such as Maracyn 2 may help also

OP
OP
J

JMarble0407

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replied at other thread. This appears as a gram negative bacterial infection. Most Infections can be caused by either Gram‐positive or Gram-negative bacteria. Gram-negative infections are typically more viral and common in marine fish.
Bacterial infections are often secondary to a preexisting parasitic or worm infestation or even poor water quality, open wounds and nutritional deficiency which lowers the natural immune system.
Symptoms may include:
-Any redness or open sores/wounds on a fish and should be viewed as suspicious
- white film or fungus looking growth can denote a bacterial infection
- Frayed fins / fin & tail rot
- Cloudy eyes

Sometimes all the vitamins, proper nutrition and clean water are just not enough. For the skin, try a freshwater dip follwed by a one hour ruby rally pro bath. Antibiotic such as Maracyn 2 may help also
How long would you fresh water dip for?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try adding neoplex? You can probably do a mix of antibiotics to try and combat it if it is bacterial.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the other thread, no way to be sure, but I think this is a case of HLLE (it looks really different in yellow tangs) with a gram negative bacterial infection that came along later. The HLLE can’t be treated, but for bacterial issues you would need to dose antibiotics in a treatment tank.
Jay

OP
OP
J

JMarble0407

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the other thread, no way to be sure, but I think this is a case of HLLE (it looks really different in yellow tangs) with a gram negative bacterial infection that came along later. The HLLE can’t be treated, but for bacterial issues you would need to dose antibiotics in a treatment tank.
Jay
Thanks Jay. Someone mentioned HLLE months ago also which is why I stopped the Carbon and started the Selcon. I've qt for two rounds of kanaplex but I don't think it worked. I'm going to qt again with another type of medication (neoplex) and see if it helps. I can manage the HLLE with good diet but I want to help this poor thing out and eliminate the infection.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back