Please help, treating fish with general cure

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just added my two clown fish to my tank after cycling. One fish was experiencing stringy white poop leading the LFS and I to believe it has internal worms. The other fish has very small specks of ich. The LFS tested my water before I added the fish and said my numbers were fine. I picked up some general cure and added it to the tank today to hopefully treat the worms. As for the ich my plan is to upgrade from the standard 50w 78 degree set heater that came with the kit to something better to try to heat the water to 80 degrees. Both fish have begun to explore the tank but prefer one side. However the fish with worms clearly has less energy and swims weird. However at times it shows energy swimming around the tank and against the current. My biggest question here is following the instructions on the api general cure. In the directions it says to remove your carbon filter bag during treatment so I did but I’m worried that by removing the bag I might be removing all my beneficial bacteria and exposing my fish to worse parameters.
should I add the bag back? It has been 6+ hours since first bag was added

also I forgot to mention my fish are eating and actively look for food. I have fed frozen Mysis shrimp and flakes with garlic. (Small amounts of both) the fish are still hungry and try to eat the bubbles at times and ate a few of the particles from the general cure.
10 gallon tank
24+ hours since adding fish

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe if you use general cure, it’s best to soak the food with the medication and use Seachem focus to bind it to the food, let it sit for a few minutes then feed, that way they eat the medication within the food itself

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my source on it

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the carbon will remove all of the meds,not familiar w general cure , #reefsquad

OP
OP
NewNanoTank

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should my fish be okay with the ammonia increase from not having the filter? I also have sand substrate and live rock (side note one came with vermetids on it I realized recently not sure if that means anything)

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should my fish be okay with the ammonia increase from not having the filter? I also have sand substrate and live rock (side note one came with vermetids on it I realized recently not sure if that means anything)
If the rock has enough beneficial bacteria then it’ll be fine, if not you can water change. To deal with ammonia in my qt I do weekly big water changes and dose Microbacter start twice a week

OP
OP
NewNanoTank

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay the instructions on general care say to add first pack of treatment, wait 48 hours add another pack, wait 48 hours do a water change and add a fresh bag of carbon.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General Cure added to the water column will not resolve the worm/ internal parasite issue... but it will help with external flukes.

To get internal, you must bind the medication to food with Focus and feed it twice a day for 14-21 days.

Also, your beneficial bacteria do not come from the bag of carbon that you removed. This bacteria live in the live rock and substrate in the tank.

You would benefit from going to the new reefers forum section and reading up on some of the sticky threads as well as reading some of the articles for beginner reefers. There are tons of good info stuff there to help you to understand the basics of a new tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 67 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 57 30.3%
Back