Please help water is murky and there is uncontrollable algae

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water is murky and i have a big diatom problem.
My tank is just finished cycled. Is this ok? I turned down my lights
IMG_20210727_141230635.jpg
IMG_20210727_141248654.jpg

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a bacterial bloom, will take away oxygen so aerate they surface with a powerhead a lot, crank up a skimmer, add a airstone and wait it out.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial bloom. I'd get a UV sterilizer on there if you're not running one.

drew123451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice algae on the sand bed. Same thing happened to me and I never knew you were supposed to clean your sand. Get an aquarium siphon and filter through your sand. You can also try a UV sterilizer.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a bacterial bloom, will take away oxygen so aerate they surface with a powerhead a lot, crank up a skimmer, add a airstone and wait it out.
Pretty much this, but your skimmer you already have should be fine.
Watch the fish. If you notice they are breathing heavy, add more airstones. There is only so much oxygen you can add to water. I never had issues with bacteria bloom.
Use a turkey baster and disturb the surface of your sand bed, nothing more than an inch. Don't go too far down in this phase. Get some carbon going if you haven't. 10-20% water change, NOT anything more. Let the bacteria do its job and stabilize.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much this, but your skimmer you already have should be fine.
Watch the fish. If you notice they are breathing heavy, add more airstones. There is only so much oxygen you can add to water. I never had issues with bacteria bloom.
Use a turkey baster and disturb the surface of your sand bed, nothing more than an inch. Don't go too far down in this phase. Get some carbon going if you haven't. 10-20% water change, NOT anything more. Let the bacteria do its job and stabilize.
thanks @Mibu, i have a turkye baster and have used it, i have some carbon running, and i did a 10% water change yesterday

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright, just make sure the surface of the water is rippling. Your sump should be assisting in oxygen exchange. It's the best help you have right now. The bacteria bloom should go away in a few days. But can occur several more times while aging. This wont be your last one.

EDIT: spawning snails will cloudy water as well.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back