PLEASE HELP with Hanna Copper Checker 'high reading'

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing copper power over last several days Total 19ml in a 20 gallon tank. So according to calculator should not be over 1.75ppm However, it is flashing high at 5.0 (high range checker by the way. I am doing it exactly as directed. I do have experience with other hanna checkers as I use them for alk, calcium, nitrate etc. What possibly could I be doing wrong? Maybe somebody had same problem. THe fish including a leapord wrasse shows no ill effects. PLease aHELP

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing copper power over last several days Total 19ml in a 20 gallon tank. So according to calculator should not be over 1.75ppm However, it is flashing high at 5.0 (high range checker by the way. I am doing it exactly as directed. I do have experience with other hanna checkers as I use them for alk, calcium, nitrate etc. What possibly could I be doing wrong? Maybe somebody had same problem. THe fish including a leapord wrasse shows no ill effects. PLease aHELP
Quick question. Are you using the same syringe that you dose copper with to fill the test tube? A couple leftover drops will completely skew the test. Ask @4FordFamily ;)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank just finished going fallow for 3 months (90+ days). I did two rounds of Chloroquine Phosphate on the two fish that survived a velvet outbreak in my tank. I added back the two fish after the QT and fallow period. And now added the Mollies. I added the Mollies because the surviving Purple Tang I had died relatively quickly after being reintroduced to my tank. The other fish is a Bangaii Cardinalfish and seems to be doing fine. Odd things going on....
Quick question. Are you using the same syringe that you dose copper with to fill the test tube? A couple leftover drops will completely skew the test. Ask @4FordFamily ;)
Quite true!
WOW. You are good! That is exactly what I figured out I did. Thought I had 2 syringes but mistakenly picked up the same one. Even after a quick rinse still read a little high. Used a brand new one now. Thanks .

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. You are good! That is exactly what I figured out I did. Thought I had 2 syringes but mistakenly picked up the same one. Even after a quick rinse still read a little high. Used a brand new one now. Thanks .
It happens... as @HotRocks said, it got me once! Glad you worked it out! :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back