Please help with zoa pox treatment

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have some zoa/paly that have what looks like zoa pox on them. I increased the light and I think I did it too fast. Right now it's only on one end of the tank. They r big colonies on large rocks that have other things on them. A large feather duster and nems and a few other corals. Do I dip the whole rocks in furan2? Do I dip all zoa/palys even tho some r not showing any signs of the pox? Has anyone tried fluconazole to treat zoa pox? I ordered some for hair algae then was able to get rid of it without using the fluconazole so I still have it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a pic of the pox?

I haven't gotten any reports back on the fluc treatment yet for the pox. About three folks were trying it.

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here r some pictures. It looks worse in person lol

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far it's just on cheap ones. But on the other side of the tank I have a lot I sure don't want to loose

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that's a pox.
I have the green "trash paly" and they have a dot on the face and the stalks will have bumps too. I'll see if I can get a pic

Btw you'll find those on google as proto paly. Green sand paly. Texas trash paly.

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that's a pox.
I have the green "trash paly" and they have a dot on the face and the stalks will have bumps too. I'll see if I can get a pic

Btw you'll find those on google as proto paly. Green sand paly. Texas trash paly.
Wow maybe I just never noticed them before. That would be awesome. Most of my nicer zoas have very short stock so it makes it hard to see but last night I took a flashlight and didn't see any spots on them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the pox , to be explicit seem to be more of a festering boil than dots.

If you don't already have them I use a ten x and 20x magnifying glass to look close at stuff in the tank.

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u
Yea the pox , to be explicit seem to be more of a festering boil than dots.

If you don't already have them I use a ten x and 20x magnifying glass to look close at stuff in the tank.
i have one but haven't even thought of using it lately. I look at them with it. Thank u very much

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bet!

Oh FYI those little $14 phone macro lenses work too. And the $30 ones are the exact same as the $14 ones :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bet!

Oh FYI those little $14 phone macro lenses work too. And the $30 ones are the exact same as the $14 ones :rolleyes:

I have another question for you. I have a pair of mandarins. The question is about vacuuming my sand bed, does it reduce my pod population? The sand bed is 2 inches deep. I get pods from algae barn every month but it seemed like the last time I vacuumed the mandarins were having to search a lot more than usual. Should I vacuum smaller sections at a time? I've been doing half of the bed every time I do a water change. Thanks for all the help!!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I have mandys and dragonets as well. My mandys also like the sand worms I found out.
An alternative to vacuuming, and possibly removing the bugs, you can just stir the sand and let the socks catch the detritus. I kind of do the same, but I use a canister filter with floss only so it really only catches the dust and muck. I forget if your on a sump sock set up.

Thanks for all the help!!
I aint free lady!!!! You owe me a pic! ;)I'm still in love with that big rock. Hows that working out btw?

My new second most posted link.
Sand cleaning made easy. if your cleaning it often you don't have to worry quite so much about stirring up muck.

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That video is awesome. I love all those gonio's. Wish mine looked like that. The big rock is doing great. I love it. I think I must have been drunk when I put those Texas trash on it. I'm removing them this week before the spread any more. The rock had some bubble algae on it when I got it. I'm still trying to get rid of it. It's such a pretty rock I almost hate putting coral on it lol

IMG_0731.JPG

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have socks in my sump so I will start cleaning the sand that way.
I do appreciate all the help!!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Wish mine looked like that.
it will.

I dunno, those acros will look pretty good on there!;)

And yea, no such thing as an ugly coral. But I orderd sharp syringes to inject my trash palys with vinegar.;Woot

oh keep an eye on those pink palys on the bottom right too. same problem. Pink Plague Palys? lol

and thanks for the pic!

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your very welcome. Does the vinegar killing them hurt other stuff in ur tank? That would be awesome. I'm about to move those pink plagues and any of the other like that to my 56 gal but I really like one of the rocks they r on so I might try the vinegar on it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no vinegar is actually a carbon source(carbon dosing) so its food for coral and bacteria. its a pretty small amount you'll be using.
you can also use aiptasia x on them, its bit its slow and hit and miss. the app x doesnt do well in the sharp syringe btw.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back