PLEASE HELP !!

LMyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please help me identify what illness i have with my fish?

Is this velvet or brook or another disease ?

Is it too late to save the fish and if not please tell me what to do :(

4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like either velvet or brook. Are any of the other fish besides the clowns showing symptoms?
@ReefSquad #reefsquad any thoughts?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're dealing with brook aka clownfish disease. Brook kills quickly so it is possible to save them but really need to act fast. What meds do you have on hand? Do you have a QT tank?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, a ruby reef rally bath is a good start.

OP
OP
L

LMyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so no i only have like a 10 ltr tank so not really ideal for all the fish i have

I first noticed it on my flame angel but soon found out my clown fish look to be worse of a state than him so far.
I do also have 3 green chromies but they seem fine for now

I don't have any treatments on hand as i have never quarantined a fish before.
I cant do anything tonight but should i just go out and buy a plastic storage box to use?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A QT "tank" can just be a 5gal bucket - it doesn't have to be an actual tank. Glass walls allow for much easier observation, so it's worth picking up a 10gal breeder for this purpose, but you can use the bucket till then. Make sure there's an air stone in there to keep the water aerated and moving. If your room temp is very low, then you'll want a small heater as well (but colder-than-normal temps are actually better for QT anyways).

OP
OP
L

LMyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that's good i will just use a old salt bucket then
Do i run the salinity at 1.025 like my display and what treatments can you recommended?

So far its either cupramine or Chloroquine phosphate but from what i've seen it might be abit hard for me to pick that up in the uk.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes they are still eating like normal.

Eating is a good sign. Yes you can use a plastic bin but as stated by @DLHDesign its harder for observation. The sooner you act the better chance of survival as this parasites works very quickly.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A QT "tank" can just be a 5gal bucket - it doesn't have to be an actual tank. Glass walls allow for much easier observation, so it's worth picking up a 10gal breeder for this purpose, but you can use the bucket till then. Make sure there's an air stone in there to keep the water aerated and moving. If your room temp is very low, then you'll want a small heater as well (but colder-than-normal temps are actually better for QT anyways).
Yup! a bucket or a storage tote works great in emergency situations :)

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that's good i will just use a old salt bucket then
Do i run the salinity at 1.025 like my display and what treatments can you recommended?

So far its either cupramine or Chloroquine phosphate but from what i've seen it might be abit hard for me to pick that up in the uk.

Cupramine doesn't treat brook, just velvet. 90 min Ruby rally addresses both these issues and administering metro treats brook.

In regards to salinity at this point I'd match it to your display to eliminate additional stress.

OP
OP
L

LMyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose anyone know where i could buy ruby reef rally in the uk?

detran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, you need to prepare a Hospital Tank asap. If things get worse give the infected fish some FW dips of up to 5 minutes. This will only temporarily alliviate and reduce the ammount of mucus built up in the gills and reduce the ammount of parasites for brook and velvet, however you need to medicate them properly, remember this is a fight against time and proliferation of the parasites. You could treat with copper in the hospital tank for velvet and formaline baths to treat brook if you are not certain. Best of luck.

Ed

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the brook diagnosis. Do you have access to metronidazole in the UK? Seachem metroplex is pretty common over here.

+1 Metro for treatment. Ruby reef rally would be helpful in addition to metro. You can also FWD prior to transferring to sterile QT to provide temporary relief and jump start on treatment.

OP
OP
L

LMyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered some chloroquine phosphate online so hopefully that arrives before its too late.
and no mate ive not heard of that and unable to find anywhere that sells that here.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
+1 on brooklynella.
If youre waiting for treatment to arrive, I would use although not the recommended treatment- PraziPro for now.

Back