Please help!

greenchromis81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green chromosome doesn’t look well at all. I'm scared that he is sick. I don't think the levels of (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, salinity, ph, etc) have anything to do with it because my damsel and my peppermint shrimp are fine. His scales are standing on end and underneath them are huge pink bulges. If you know what is wrong with him please tell me. Also if you know how to fix it please tell me. I will add a picture of him.

Please
Thanks

Greenchromis81

Ps: I only used the net because I couldn’t get a shot of his left side when he was in the water.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but Chromis, unfortunately, are prone to all types of diseases. Did you QT the fish?

@HotRocks , @4FordFamily , I know you are aware of the diseases that Chromis can get and have. I forget the name of the most common

Those splotches are a tell tail sign.

@Jay Hemdal

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It has what is known as uronema. it is common with chromis and anthias fish. Uronema marinum is a ciliate parasite with a direct life cycle in which It lives, feeds and reproduces directly on the fish itself.
These are the red sores most often seen on chromis damsels; however it can afflict any fish. The treatment of choice is a 45 minute formalin bath (Quick Cure is a good form), followed by transfer into a clean Quarantine tank. Once in QT, it is important to do followup treatment to ensure all of the parasites have been eliminated. This can be accomplished by dosing and food soaking metronidazole ( Seachem Metroplex) for 10-14 days.
Additionally, a formalin or Ruby Rally Pro bath are the two best options for providing treatment.
Formalin (45 min bath) and Rally (90 min bath) then use metronidazole every other day for 10 days. This is to ensure all of the parasites have been eradicated. You can also soak metro in the foods during the QT period in order to eliminate the internal parasites as well.
+++ A 5 minute FW dip may provide temporary relief if you dont have access to these medications right away.

OP
OP
G

greenchromis81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but Chromis, unfortunately, are prone to all types of diseases. Did you QT the fish?

@HotRocks , @4FordFamily , I know you are aware of the diseases that Chromis can get and have. I forget the name of the most common

Those splotches are a tell tail sign.
Oh no! Actually the people that worked at the place where I got him didn't mention that. Also what does QT the fish mean?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has what is known as uronema. it is common with chromis and anthias fish. Uronema marinum is a ciliate parasite with a direct life cycle in which It lives, feeds and reproduces directly on the fish itself.
These are the red sores most often seen on chromis damsels; however it can afflict any fish. The treatment of choice is a 45 minute formalin bath (Quick Cure is a good form), followed by transfer into a clean Quarantine tank. Once in QT, it is important to do followup treatment to ensure all of the parasites have been eliminated. This can be accomplished by dosing and food soaking metronidazole ( Seachem Metroplex) for 10-14 days.
Additionally, a formalin or Ruby Rally Pro bath are the two best options for providing treatment.
Formalin (45 min bath) and Rally (90 min bath) then use metronidazole every other day for 10 days. This is to ensure all of the parasites have been eradicated. You can also soak metro in the foods during the QT period in order to eliminate the internal parasites as well.
+++ A 5 minute FW dip may provide temporary relief if you dont have access to these medications right away.
Thank you @vetteguy53081, I just couldn't think of the name

OP
OP
G

greenchromis81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg! Thank you so much! I will get to it a soon as possible! Again thank you so much!

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Actually the people that worked at the place where I got him didn't mention that. Also what does QT the fish mean?
Quarantine tank the fish. What @vetteguy53081 is accurate, I just couldn't think of the name as fish disease is not my strong suit. I put 10 Chromis thru QT before I was able to get 4 thru the process. They are more prone to uronema than most fish, and almost always come with it, IME. They are some of my favorite fish and are some of the most active.

lkc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to sterilize and re seed your tank. Aka, start over. Uronema will live in there forever. It doesn't have a life cycle like crypt or velvet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Omg! Thank you so much! I will get to it a soon as possible! Again thank you so much!
My preferred treatment is Rally Reef and metro with the food

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may want to euthanize that fish. no way he will make it and any dip will just be painful for him. as others mentioned you have it in your tank forever now. you'll have to start over if you want to have chromis, anthias or butterflys. other fish can get it to.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you sent that to the wrong person
Nope... I didn't. I tagged the Reef Squad for you. That's what got vetteguy and Billdg to help.
Anytime there is a fish or tank emergency, tagging reef squad will get the top folks to help you out. There are lots of brilliant and experienced reefers here that are always willing to help!
Welcome!

OP
OP
G

greenchromis81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope... I didn't. I tagged the Reef Squad for you. That's what got vetteguy and Billdg to help.
Anytime there is a fish or tank emergency, tagging reef squad will get the top folks to help you out. There are lots of brilliant and experienced reefers here that are always willing to help!
Welcome!
Oh! Ok! Thank you so much for tagging them!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nooooooo! Thanks for telling me
Actually, Uronema is a ubiquitous protozoan, it can be isolated from almost every established aquarium. It normally feeds on bacteria. For unknown reasons, it will attack the muscle tissue of newly acquired chromis, anthias and some wrasses. Take a look in the article section here for my article on it (I’m on my phone and can’t link you to it).
The downside it is 100% fatal once the lesions get that bad, sorry!
Jay

OP
OP
G

greenchromis81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, Uronema is a ubiquitous protozoan, it can be isolated from almost every established aquarium. It normally feeds on bacteria. For unknown reasons, it will attack the muscle tissue of newly acquired chromis, anthias and some wrasses. Take a look in the article section here for my article on it (I’m on my phone and can’t link you to it).
Jay
100% fatal?! Noooooo!:eek:

night everyone

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% fatal?! Noooooo!:eek:
Sorry, but I’ve never been able to cure advanced cases. There was some hope for using chloroquine, but now we can’t get that medication in the US (and most other countries).
Jay

OP
OP
G

greenchromis81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Actually, I had a Wrasse. I got him the same day I got the Chromis he died a few weeks after that. I also had another fish he was small and he was yellow and magenta I think he died too but I can't find his body and I didn't see him when I cleaned my tank last week so. Do you think they died of Uronema?

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
impossible to tell without seeing them but probably. you're going to have to learn how to qt your fish or continue to lose fish particularly if you continue to source from the same place

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back