PLEASE ID NEED HELP

Donsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers, need help with ID this algae and how to get rid of it. It's taken on my friends tank. It's a dark greenish and brownish color.

20191210_103618.jpg 20191210_103554.jpg 20191210_103547.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hair algae to me. He needs to lower his phosphates (and nitrates) and get something to ear it or remove it by hand. Also, you can try flux rx which works on some hair algae (and bryopsis). It doesn't appear to be feathery like bryopsis.

OP
OP
Donsreef

Donsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hair algae to me. He needs to lower his phosphates (and nitrates) and get something to ear it or remove it by hand. Also, you can try flux rx which works on some hair algae (and bryopsis). It doesn't appear to be feathery like bryopsis.

Tried Reef Flux didn't work.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest fluconazole as well given the advanced stage, but OK.

Get some pics under white light and compare to this for ID & suggested actions:

Aside from a sea hare, nothing is going to eat mature stuff like that. Most herbivores prefer the tender new shoots.

Lastly, I know @brandon429 has some treatment threads to suggest to your friend. Some elbow grease is required.

OP
OP
Donsreef

Donsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest fluconazole as well given the advanced stage, but OK.

Get some pics under white light and compare to this for ID & suggested actions:

Aside from a sea hare, nothing is going to eat mature stuff like that. Most herbivores prefer the tender new shoots.

Lastly, I know @brandon429 has some treatment threads to suggest to your friend. Some elbow grease is required.

I told him he needed to reboot and put in nuly cycled rocks. I think it's the old tank syndrome because all rocks came from his 150 that had been running for some years and he had issues with that tank.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told him he needed to reboot and put in nuly cycled rocks. I think it's the old tank syndrome because all rocks came from his 150 that had been running for some years and he had issues with that tank.

Got it. I dunno, old rocks have a lot of bacterial value. I'd give away a lot before I gave up my old rocks. I would not sell my old rock for less than 2k. There is no replacement for it if you want SPS IMO.

So that rock is saturated with phosphate. Using GFO, you can force it to gradually leach out by stripping the water of PO4. With a Hanna Phosphate Checker ULR you can do this safely. It is not hard, but takes some time doing measurements and changing out the GFO. As in all things reefing, going slow is a must, not an option.

Kinda surprised that fluc did nothing in the short term. It does not solve the problem of saturated rock, but should have bought some time.

OP
OP
Donsreef

Donsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it didn't work at all. He's gonna Vibrant and see if that'll work. I hope it does because I don't want to reboot his tank. Has a few sps but mostly LPS and Softies. It's a 220 gallon tank.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it didn't work at all. He's gonna Vibrant and see if that'll work. I hope it does because I don't want to reboot his tank. Has a few sps but mostly LPS and Softies. It's a 220 gallon tank.

Yeah, I saw those SPS in the photo, thus my point about going slow with GFO as it can strip PO4 pretty quick and crush SPS equally fast.

Vibrant has many proponents. Good luck.

epleeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had something similar to that about 1.5 years ago. The only thing that worked was fluconazole. It took several months to go away after dosing but it did the trick with no negative effects. I was dealing with this type of algae. No one could tell me what it was. The only thing that would eat it was tuxedo urchins. I would rip out sandwich bags full of it weekly but it would always grow back.

848B9A9E-CD89-447B-90DA-8C2EBA693E1C.jpeg

Back