0   0   0
What are these?

95B0FFC9-5048-491B-A17C-1C43ED1721DF.jpeg

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a pest anemone. They can be tricky to remove and spread pretty quick, especially if disturbed. They will bail out and spew babies if they are threatened. I’ve found the best way to get rid of them is to remove the rock they are on and cut a little chunk of rock out that their foot is attached to. Another way I’ve had success is to remove the rock and scrape them off and then take a torch to the remains on the rock. Their are a lot of ways to get rid of them that aren’t so invasive as the previously mention methods. File fish, butterfly fish (Klein’s and copper band). Or berghai nudibranchs and other ways to keep them managed but generally come back once the fish or nudi is removed. All the other Chemical products have never worked for me.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foreground looks like Palys to me. Not sure about the ones in the background. Those could be aiptasia.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a type of paly to me. I may have one similar to it, but can't recall the name either. Mine are kind of purple with a green center... i believe it was called Moonbeam or Moonlight but that could have just been a crazy name pit on it by a LFS where i found them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Common brown palythoa

OP
OP
illinoisreefer

illinoisreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems some say aptasia (which is my fear) others say Paly....Just started my tank 8 weeks ago and they have been on the live rock from day one. The live rock has some nice coralline algae on it so hoping it’s not aptasia. Hard to tell in the picture but the same species is in the background as is in the foreground. Is anyone 100% positive on their identification?

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems some say aptasia (which is my fear) others say Paly....Just started my tank 8 weeks ago and they have been on the live rock from day one. The live rock has some nice coralline algae on it so hoping it’s not aptasia. Hard to tell in the picture but the same species is in the background as is in the foreground. Is anyone 100% positive on their identification?

If they're both the same I'd say it's all palys. They grow like weeds and are hard to kill. It's mostly a beginner coral. I started out with palys as my first coral. It was awesome to see them grow and propagate so quickly. 5 years later I'm fighting a losing battle trying to eliminate them. Mostly it's considered a bonus when you get free coral on a live rock though.

OP
OP
illinoisreefer

illinoisreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're both the same I'd say it's all palys. They grow like weeds and are hard to kill. It's mostly a beginner coral. I started out with palys as my first coral. It was awesome to see them grow and propagate so quickly. 5 years later I'm fighting a losing battle trying to eliminate them. Mostly it's considered a bonus when you get free coral on a live rock though.

If infact it is a coral then why would one want to kill it? I understand if it’s aptasia but if it’s a coral what issues will this cause down the line and what do you recommend I do at this point.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If infact it is a coral then why would one want to kill it? I understand if it’s aptasia but if it’s a coral what issues will this cause down the line and what do you recommend I do at this point.
I'll say: if you like them how they look, keep them as they are ;) they aren't that bad like the aiptasia, and they don't look like Aiptasia. Can I ask you, just in case to get another photo, to show for the rest the background Palys. You see them all are the same, someone don't read probably ;)
Have on mind, the Palythozoas are a bit dangerous if you do disturb them too much, and if you take the LR out of the water, be careful not to spill liquid over you, or your eyes, that can be very dangerous to you, they produce PALY Toxin (most deadly toxin in the world by organic), wash your hands before touching your face, after touching them.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a ton of different thoughts on Palys. Like I said it was my first coral, I was happy with it. Eventually as you dial in your parameters it will spread quickly and possibly sting other more expensive coral that you will buy once you feel more comfortable with your husbandry skills keeping your tank. Be happy, use it as a guide to know you're doing things right, maybe just isolate it if you can, pretty soon those brown palys pale in comparison to other stuff out there.

OP
OP
illinoisreefer

illinoisreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say: if you like them how they look, keep them as they are ;) they aren't that bad like the aiptasia, and they don't look like Aiptasia. Can I ask you, just in case to get another photo, to show for the rest the background Palys. You see them all are the same, someone don't read probably ;)
Have on mind, the Palythozoas are a bit dangerous if you do disturb them too much, and if you take the LR out of the water, be careful not to spill liquid over you, or your eyes, that can be very dangerous to you, they produce PALY Toxin (most deadly toxin in the world by organic), wash your hands before touching your face, after touching them.
Here is another pic (they haven’t fully opened as I turned the lights back in to take the pic) sorry not the best but you can tell they are all same species. In terms of liking them, I like them now cause I don’t have anything else and they came free on the rock. I don’t want them to take over and kill future coral that are more visually pleasing and costly.

124F5D76-6CC0-43BD-A44F-C6413B4B4500.jpeg

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at it on a bigger screen than my phone I’d say paly as well. The ones in the back are what made me think Aiptasia. Especially the one that looks clear. But after looking closer they are for sure palys, 100%.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back